WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Breast Cancer mirror

Posts

Breast Cancer mirror

#1

Breast Cancer mirror

john lucas

Making this mirror for my Sister who is going through Breast Cancer treatments. So far she's doing fine and it looks good. We have had so much cancer in mine or my wifes family in the last 3 or so years. Wonder what causes that. I guess we will never know. This is maple with pink color ply inserted and glued in place with black epoxy. Then I burned 4 lines in it where the ribbon twists or crosses.


Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#2

Re: Galaxy planet mirror

Ralph Watts

John, Nice mirror as usual. Regarding your question about cancer, there is a service called 23 and Me that will do a genetic profile for a $100 and it will tell you if you have any markers for cancer and other stuff. They will also tell you where on earth most of your ancestors are located. I thought it was worthwhile. Good luck. Best regards, Ralph

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#3

Re: Galaxy planet mirror

Jim Breeden

Beautiful John ! And the best of luck to your sister.

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#4

Steven Antonucci

My Mom just finished chemo for her breast cancer

Steven Antonucci

Same prognosis: positive for now.

Good luck to your sister

Steve

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#5

Re: Galaxy planet mirror

john lucas

Well I've already been through Prostate cancer and had some cancerous polups removed from my Colon so that's good for now. My stepson who is 45 Has terminal brain cancer, My wifes Brother has lung cancer and some other kind I forget. She just had 2 friends die of cancer and it seems everywhere I turn someone I know has it or is a survivor.

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#6

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

Ron Pemberton

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer about 9-10 years ago, went through chemo and radiation. She has been clear since. The Dr told us 40 (?) percent of US women experience breast cancer. Orentiel women experience less than 10 percent (percentages were told to me 9-10 years ago so may be a little foggy). Anyway he told us you raise an Orentiel woman in the US she falls in the same catagory as US women. Must be something we eat, breath or are exposed to in our environment.

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#7

Joe Fleming

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

Joe Fleming

John, really nice. My wife just went through colon cancer surgery a year ago. Knock on wood that she remains clear. Best of wishes.

How did you cut the inlay in the maple? Router with template? Free-hand with chisels?

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#8

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

John C Lucas

I used a scroll.saw like they do Intarsia. However i didnt have any scrap to work with and missed the angle a little so the black lines around the outside were thicker than i wanted. I re adjusted the angle.for the center of the ribbon and got a nice fit.

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

#9

Re: Breast Cancer mirror

Don Orr

Beautiful John-very nicely done. My wife is a 2 time BC survivor so this hits a little close to home. Best wishes to your sister!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.