WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

Posts

Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

#1

Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

Dick Coers

Call it a cutting bowl! From a historical collection in Lisbon, from the book "The Hard Life" by Jasper Morrison.


Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

#2

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

John C Lucas

I made a bowl once that i called a chip and dip. It had a second bowl in the middle that i sized to fit a small glass bowl. This held the dip and could be removed for cleaning. Looked a lot loke that bowl.

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

#3

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

Barry Irby

My Grandmother had a bowl sort of like that. The pedestal was used for cracking nuts. I can remember her sitting and hammering away on walnuts. The pedestal was really beat up.

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

#4

Mike Stafford

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

Mike Stafford

My grandparents also had a bowl such as Barry described with one major difference. There was a large metal button over the center pedestal that resembled a grossly oversized upholstery button. A matching mallet had two such metal buttons on the ends of the head. When I was a kid I liked to conk my sister on the head with the mallet until my grandfather caught me and conked me on the head.

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

#5

Re: Hate taking out that pesky nib in bowl bottom?

Karl_TN

LOL. I suppose that nib is for cracking nuts.

I had a similar bowl with a nib in the middle, but, like John, I turned it into a Chip & Dip tray with a removable glass tray.

Cherry - 2016


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.