WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

Posts

Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#1

Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

Ed Davidson

Did you know that there is a International Top Spinners Association? The ITSA folks just love wooden tops. This one will be in their annual raffle, coming up in a couple weeks.

Made from East Texas Osage Orange, 2.35" across x 3.00" tall, with ITSA logo. The stand is also made from Osage Orange, with blue/green acrylic embellishments. It measures 2.25" across at the base, 1.95" across at the top and stands 3.50" tall. The stand can be used as a spinning stage as well as a static display.






ITSA website

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#2

Very Cool!


Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#3

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS*

mikeee12345

Nice work Ed!

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#4

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS*

John K Jordan

That's excellent!

I make and give away a lot of tops but never thought of including a display/spin stand.

Have you found any finish that will keep osage from turning brown in a year or two?

JKJ

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#5

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS*

Roger Chandler

Beautifully done! I love the glow of the OO, and that stand is well designed. I don't usually think much about spin tops, although I have made a few over the years. This has to be the nicest I have seen, and the first I have seen that spins in its own stand.....superb!

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#6

Tops, tops, tops.

John K Jordan

>>>I don't usually think much about spin tops, although I have made a few over the years.

Roger, make some more! I have made 100s and give them all away, in batches of 50 to missionaries who use them with kids, some to doctors and social workers who deal with children, one to a head of a major goverment scientific organization.

My favorite thing is to use them as conversation starters when on trips both here and abroad. I always carry some in my pocket and give them to woodworkers I meet, shop keepers, B&B people. I've made new friends this way both as pen pals and with subsequent invitations to visit - our best trip to Italy so far was an invitation to visit as result of getting out some tops on a long train ride from Austria. I've had a dozen adults at a party standing around a kitchen island spinning tops. I give them to little kids to build dexterity, challenging them to learn to spin them upside down. Great presents for my kindergarten classes.

Tops are my favorite use for small pieces of wood. I usually chuck up a piece of 1-2" squares 6-8" long and make several in a row. They are lot quicker than hollowing a form or turning a bowl! I've also turned them from acrylic and aluminum.

They can be very simple; I don't do chatterwork and very little coloring. Here are some old pictures from almost 15 years ago:


These are nothing like the amazing Ed "yoyospin" tops of course! If you haven't seen it, check out his web site: http://yoyospin.com/ Incredible.

JKJ

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#7

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS*

ben d.

In the duck call making community Spar Urethane is the most used to prevent the dark from showing us as soon as it normally would, but over time it still darkens. This has a UV protector in it and helps to keep it lighter longer.

ben d.

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#8

Brad Vietje

Re: Tops, tops, tops.

Brad Vietje

I used to make a lot more than I do now. When doing a demo it was fun to make large, medium, small and really small from a single piece of wood.

A few years back, we were reminded about a change (or stepped up enforcement?) in some sort of child safety regulations, and we were advised not to make/sell/distribute tops that were less than a particular size -- 1-9/16" (???) to avoid a lawsuit for swallowing danger.

Can someone recall the correct size? Anyone face any issues like this with tops?

Safe spinning,

Brad Vietje

Newbury, VT

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#9

Re: Tops, tops, tops. *LINK*

Clifton C

Brad, not sure if this will help but it's a place to start.

We give away a lot of tops, most in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter range.

Sometimes I wonder if we are setting our selves up...

cc


Small parts test fixture

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#10

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS*

Ed Davidson

Sorry...no. I haven't found anything that will keep Osage from turning honey-brown with time.

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#11

Re: Tops, tops, tops.

Ed Davidson

Very good input, Brad. All of the toys I make are at least 1.75" in diameter. And, they are always sold (or given away) under my business name...Davidson LatheCraft LLC, which is registered in the State of Colorado. I've also begun adding a disclaimer in the product's description, like "this item is not intended for use by children age 3 and under."

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#12

Re: Tops, tops, tops.

Don Orr

Our club used to make and give away hundreds at our annual show in Saratoga Springs, NY. We were required to make them large enough so they would not fit into the cardboard paper towel center tube. About 1.5 inches diameter as I recall as a minimum.

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#13

Brad Vietje

Re: Tops, tops, tops.

Brad Vietje

Once again, thank you all for your replies. I figure 1.5" minimum, and labeling, but then flammability(?) They are made of wood (in my case, at least). :\

Safe spinning,

Brad Vietje

Newbury, VT

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#14

What if someone pokes out an eye with the handle?

John K Jordan

Or throws one at a little sister. There is no end to possibilities.

JKJ

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#15

Re: What if someone pokes out an eye with the hand

mikeee12345

Young children that are unable to spin a top soon figure out quickly what they

are able to master with the objects. Launching them across the room is usually

the first thing that comes to mind when they can't get them to spin. Needless to

say my grandson is no longer allowed to play with spinning tops, he will however

most likely be a quarterback on a football team. :-)

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#16

Re: What if someone pokes out an eye with the hand

John K Jordan

I've never had a kid throw one.

I start kids pretty young - the tops are excellent for building coordination and control. My 6-year-old grandson started trying to spin a top when he was three. I told him he could have one as soon as he could make it spin. It took him months of trying before he got it.

I use them with my class of 5-6 year-old kids for the same reason, especially with kids with developmental challenges. By five, most kids can spin them with just a bit of guidance. As soon as they can, we work on learning to spin them upside-down. That takes a little longer! For Christmas each year they each get to pick one to take home. I've had kids tell me they still have theirs years later.

JKJ

Re: Wood Spin Tops for the ITSA *PICS* *LINK*

#17

Re: What if someone pokes out an eye with the hand

mikeee12345

John,

My grandson just turned 3 years old and his older brothers are all into football, baseball and basketball.

Needless to say he has grown up wanting to "play ball" with the older boys. He also likes to wrestle with his 100 pound bulldog one on one. Everyone in the house has learned to run for cover when he has an object

in his hand. The little guy is as tuff as nails growing up with a house full of boys, mom says no tops until he comprehends the meaning of no. We get the tops out each time I visit and put them away if he starts to throw any of them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.