WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Thin elm bowl

Posts

Thin elm bowl

#1

Thin elm bowl

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK

>This bowl is from an elm tree I cut in my pasture. It is turned green and warped then the bottom returned. The diameter at the top is 8" by 8 3/4" and it is 3 3/4" tall. The thickness throughout is about 0.080", a Wally thickness bowl only a bowl is easier to turn thin than a hollowform. The opening is turned toward the heart. The finish is Rockler's Polyurethane Gel, 4 coats. Dave Smith brought some pieces when he came here with this finish on them and I liked the feel the finish gave to the piece.

This piece or any other piece I post is open to critique or comment of any kind so post anything you want. I feel it is for the benefit of the group to have all the information and opinions you can.

Thanks for looking.

Larry


img

Re: Thin elm bowl

#2

Inside of bowl

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK

>This is the inside view.

Larry


img

Re: Thin elm bowl

#3

Bottom of elm bowl

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK

>The bottom of the elm bowl.

Larry


img

Re: Thin elm bowl

#4

Re: Thin elm bowl

Mike Schwing from Maryland

>Beautiful work Larry. I appreciate the attention to the detail on the foot.

As a critique, I would have liked to see two things done a little differently. (not that I could have achieved them on my own) The form looks a little "squashed" to me. Maybe slightly less diameter for the same height might have made it look a bit taller.

I would also raise the foot a bit, I like this piece off the ground so it accentuates the flowing profile.

Beautiful work indeed!

Re: Thin elm bowl

#5

I bid $10

TDaniel

>Just joking:). Nice work Larry.

Re: Thin elm bowl

#6

Re: Thin elm bowl

David Eaves

>Hi Larry,

That is excellent work I really like it. You judged the warping/alignment well too. The shape it has moved to is suits it.

As regards form I echo what Mike has said, it looks a little squashed. I guess the tree dictated your height here.. so I suppose it would have to have been narrower in diameter. It is a good form though, and I still like it a lot. The foot detail finishes it off well.

Cheers

David

Re: Thin elm bowl

#7

Mike and David

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK

>I had to sit this piece aside and look at it for a while before I decided to go ahead and finish it. At first I did not like it at all because something just didn't look right. I've been playing around with shapes a lot lately and will try some variations like you suggest and post them later.

Thanks for the input.

Larry

Re: Thin elm bowl

#8

Brad Vietje

Re: Thin elm bowl

Brad Vietje

>Very nice, Larry !

I'll differ with the other comments; while I like it the way it is, you could make another with a narrower base, and slightly smaller foot, making it look even w-i-d-e-r.

Spalting Elm goes soft pretty fast, and it looks like you got this chunk on the lathe at just the right time -- enough spalting to look great, but not soft and punky. Very nice.

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje

Thetford, VT Spring ??? 15 degrees, snowing & windy :(

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.