WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

speaking of reaction to wood

Posts

speaking of reaction to wood

#1

speaking of reaction to wood

jim reasoner

>I saw Bretts post-hope he gets some medical attention. My question, has anyone had any reaction to padauk? I used this stuff for years then suddenly a while back when I sawed it and sanded it I had an immediate reaction. My eyes burned and itched and really got stopped up and congested. I tried it a couple of times afterward but decided it just wasn't worth it. Although it is beautiful wood. I can use very small pieces of it for accents or bands on pens but I have had to give up on using it for making anything. Anyone else react to padauk

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

#2

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

Don Henthorn Smithville, Texas

>Jim, you got me to thinking. Years ago I made quite a few laminated bows for target and hunting. I liked to use padauk as one of the woods in the handle riser. I also finished the bows with epoxy. Several times during the finishing of bows I had the same symptoms. I always attributed the problem to the epoxy, but it could just as easily have been the sanding of the padauk. Hmmmmmm!!

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

#3

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

Ray Taylor

>Jim,

I cannot turn padauk. It breaks out my forearms very quickly and my throat swells. I cough and get immediately congested.

It's the only wood I've found so far that causes this reaction to me.

Ray

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

#4

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

Verne Horton

>Interesting in that I am allergic to a good number of the exotics, but Padauk isn't one of them :-). I really don't want to have to give up turning these woods and so I have gotten a Triton Power Respirator, a case of tyvek coveralls (really cheap) and nytrile rubber gloves which I wear when turning these woods. I look like a member of a "hazmat abatement team", but it definitly works . . . so far.

-Verne

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

#5

Is it the wood ???

Steve Mushinski

>It has been well documented the effect of exotic wood and resportory problems. I put this question out there for further disscusion.

What about the chemicals that are being spray, used to dip, and apply to the wood to bring it into the country now? With the bug problems most woods must be fumigated before being allowed in.

Is it the wood or the Chemicals?

I was working with a wood called Maca Wood and had a running nose for two days. I tried again and the same thing happened. I find out now the wood may have been dipped in a pesticide before being shipped to Canada.

Masks really are not an option any more, they really should be something we buy before we buy a gouge.

Something to think about anyway!

Steve

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

#6

Re: speaking of reaction to wood

Jorge Castañeda

>Jim,

Yes I had reacctions to padauk among other woods, walnut, red cedar, spanish cedar, cocobolo,

Try to stay away from any wood that bothers you, the rections seems to get worse with further exposure.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.