WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

I'm feeling worse...

Posts

I'm feeling worse...

#1

I'm feeling worse...

Brett Sherwood - Richmond, IN

>It feels like somebody is jabbing a drill up my nose and I can't breathe. The wood I asked everybody about to no avail has purple and green striations. I will post another view of it. I've made up my mind to go to the hospital but i really need to know exactly what I'm dealing with if any of you know.


img

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#2

Re: I'm feeling worse...

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA

>Yeah, not that Jerome mentions it, this does look like Jatoba. But then again, who cares? The doctor is not going to know anything about it. He or she will treat you for an allergic reaction, maybe with steroids. Get to the doctor!!!

Bill

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#3

Re: I'm feeling worse...

Verne Horton

>Being allergic to many exotic woods myself, my guess would be Makor�. As Bill suggests, get medical attention. If you are having breathing problems, you might try benadryl (antihystamine) in the meantime 'til you can get to medical help.

-Verne

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#4

Ellis Walentine

Could be any number of things...

Ellis Walentine

>... but your allergic reaction is the key problem at the moment.

If you would like to send me a small piece of the wood, I can investigate further.

Good luck.

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#5

Re: You're Waiting TOO LONG!!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In Jersey

>Take the wood to the ER with you; get someone else to drive (you condition may worsen in transit); and

GO NOW!!!!

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#6

Re: PS!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In Jersey

>Put the stuff in a plastic bag and seal, if possible, to minimize any further exposure, including skin contact or having it in the closed car with you [put in trunk].

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#7

Reminds me of my allergy story

Garrett in Victoria BC CA

>Shortly after moving into new-to-us house I cut the grass. The next door neighbour, a doctor, pointed out a poisonous plant and suggested I get rid of it as we had two small boys. So I did. Finished the grass and showered. After dressing I was having trouble breathing and my throat was constricting. A look in the mirror showed a very swollen face, so I raced down to the car, pausing only to put on a work glove and grabbed some of the plant. As soon as I walked into Emergency, a nurse rushed me onto a gurney where I was immediately seen by a doctor who injected adrenaline and antihistamine.

As he was examining me he looked curiously at the plant still gripped in my gloved hand and asked what it was. "That's it, that's what's done this to me!" I replied.

"Nope", said he laughing hard. And pointing to my ankle, "You've been stung by a wasp." Just as mysteriously as this allergy appeared at age 36, it disappeared 15 years later.

Cheers, Garrett

Cheers, Garrett

Re: I'm feeling worse...

#8

Re: I'm feeling worse...

Ron Sardo

>Here in Pennsylvania we can send a wood chip to Penn State's Forestry Extension Office and they will identify what type of wood it is.

I bet there is something simular in your state.

Sorry about the other post, I was just kidding around.

Keep us updated.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.