WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

Posts

Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#1

Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

Chuck Ludwigsen

>I could use some of your ideas, if possible.

I have type of pencil drawing that I have done in the past. I would like to duplicate this with pyrography on a bowl.

What I need help with is understand what type of bowl shapes are suitable for artwork pyrography? I'm not talking about full round patterns, but rather, burning an image into the side of a bowl. I would like your suggestions on what shapes would present the image well without the image taking away from the form of the bowl.

I would need an area about 3" tall by 4" wide to place the drawing/etching.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Any and all suggestions and references to similar works would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#2

Re: Woodturners Resource

Andi Wolfe

>I would advise that you try to keep the proportions of the design and bowl complementary. If you want to use the outside of the bowl, you'll need to make the form work with the surface enhancement; and you may want to have more of a vase shape that displays the exterior more prominently than the interior. Put your priority on making a good form that will stand on its own before you do any pyrography.

Is your design a geometric pattern or something more specific? You'll want to consider the color and grain of the wood, also.

Just some random thoughts to get you started on thinking about how one integrates the design with a turned form.

Andi Wolfe

http://www.AndiWolfe.com

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#3

that's strange ...

Andi Wolfe

>I thought the title of my previous response was on the specific topic. Weird.

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#4

Other considerations

-e-

>Something to consider: not only is form or shape significant in deciding whether to add decorations to the piece, but also the wood characteristics (grain, color, texture, etc.) are of importance. For example, embellishments added to highly figured wood might appear to compete with each other.

When I chuck up a piece of wood, I feel as if the nature of the material is my canvas, and it already has the background painted. My job is to NOT screw it up!

Might I suggest the following references to further help you research your question?

Woodturning: A Source Book of Shapes by John Hunnex

Sculpting Wood by Mark Lindquist

Decorating Turned Wood: The Maker�s Eye by Liz & Michael O�Donnell

Gourd Pyrography by Jim Widess

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#5

Keith Tompkins

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

Keith Tompkins

>HI Chuck, I agree with Andi and "e".

Whenever you embellish a piece, it really brings attention to the form. I believe you should have a strong sense of form BEFORE you begin any form of carving, segmenting or some other form of decoration.

I firmly believe in mastering the basics before venturing into more advanced exercises.

I suggest turning a few small forms, just the exterior shape, if you want. Then try your idea on each piece. Put them on a shelf, leave them alone for a few days. (this also helps improve your embellishing skills before attempting a finished piece)

Which one do you like the best? Why? I like to analyze my pieces, a self-critique. Some people have a hard time doing this for emotional reasons. They like what they produce (which is good) so it is hard to do an objective criticism. If so, have a turner you respect give you their opinion, and their reasons for that opinion.

Always remember underneath the paint, scorching, carving, etc. is the basic FORM. Good form is good, and bad form is bad.

See my post above for a similar take on the subject.

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

#6

Re: Bowl shapes for Artwork *QUESTION*

Chuck Ludwigsen

>These are excellent points to consider and I'm indebted to all of you for your input. Thank you.

Andi, the artwork is of a lone tree atop a mountain, weathered but strong. In the background is a mountain range. I have done several variations of it over the years - all in pencil sketch.

I agree with all of you that form will make or break the success of the piece. And the only specific shape I think I'm hearing is that of a vaselike shape.

One thing I could do to create a better balance would be to continue the mountain range all the way around forming a continuous image. Yes, the tree would only be on one side. Does that sound feasable?

I will likely execute this many more times in my head before actually trying it. Might even shelve it for awhile. There is no hurry for this piece. It is something I want to do to extend my turning and design skills.

I plan to sketch the artwork with pencil just as I do on paper but when I have what I want, go over the pencil with the burning wand. Oh, and I was thinking of using Magnolia. It is pretty light with not a lot of contrasting grain - at least on the blanks I have in mind.

It is a mental work in progress. Thanks again for the collaborative design session.

Chuck.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.