WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Tonight's Turning Topic

Posts

Tonight's Turning Topic

#1

Tonight's Turning Topic

TDaniel

>Another one from our recent request list:

Making your own tools. If you have questions about types of steel, tempering, hardening, or whatever, join us at 9pm for greetings and we'll start the topic at 9:30pm. As usual, we will skip the greetings once the topic has started. The topic will end at 10:30P and general turning questions and comments are welcome until no one is left standing.

TD

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

#2

Re: I really hate to miss this one.

Al Crandall -Pendleton, IN.-

>I have to pick up my wife at the airport tonight and can't possibly make it back in time for the chat. First time you have had a topic on which I have some experience. Dang!

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

#3

Re: I really hate to miss this one.

jared herbert in iowa

>Hello I will miss this one too. Is there a way to read the transcript of this chat at a later time? thanks jared

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

#4

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

Robin Liles in Griffin,Ga

>I thought I would try out the new digital camera by taking a couple of photos and posting them. The first is of a homemade hollowing tool made from scrap metal. The main bar is 3/4" diam. with the side arm made from 1/2" anchor bolt heated and bent then welded to the main bar. The cutting tips are made from worn out power phillips bits ground down, these are held in 3/8" short pieces of steel which are then held in the boring bar with a set screw. The handle is made from black pipe which can be extended longer by sliding it back and tightening another set screw.

I got this idea from a Frank P. in our turning club in Barnesville. Looks crude but works very well.Open to suggestions for improvement.


img

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

#5

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

Robin Liles in Griffin,Ga

>Here's a close up of the different cutter that I use. I still need to make one to hold a scraper.The cutters are held in the bent holders with a drop or two of CA

I hope others post photos of the tools that they have made also.


img

Re: Tonight's Turning Topic

#6

Re: I don't believe so.

Al Crandall -Pendleton, IN.-

>Some member of the volunteer staff works his voodoo magic and captures the chats of the special guests, but it is not available to the normal chats.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.