WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Refrigerating Wet Turning Blanks?

Posts

Refrigerating Wet Turning Blanks?

#1

Refrigerating Wet Turning Blanks?

Brett Sherwood - Richmond, IN

>I had a turning fest last weekend with a wet Hackberry Log. Everything that was turned and left out to air dry looks like it exploded on the bench. I turned a bunch of 3" x 12" rounds/blanks and put them in the crisper drawer of the shop refridgerator. They haven't cracked like all the pepper mills, etc. I made and left on the workbench. Is there any merit to keeping them refridgerated? I probably shouldn't have posted this but I figured all of you seasoned veterans might get a kick out of my newbie stupidity :)

Re: Refrigerating Wet Turning Blanks?

#2

Re: Refrigerating Wet Turning Blanks?

Bob Hackett

>If you`re going to leave freshly turned wet blanks for awhile it`s best to seal them in plastic bags.When turning wet lilac I mist the piece with water and then wrap it in a bag even when answering the phone(who knows who may be on the other end).

Mainely,Bob

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.