WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

Posts

Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#1

Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

Mike Schwing from Maryland

>Turned wet to 1/4" all around, dried in two paper bags for a few weeks. Not a single crack or check, not too much movement. Power sanded to 400, one coat of shellac and 3 wiped on coats of tung oil varnish (ArmRSeal). Rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and beeswax/orange oil. Is there anything as nice as a hand rubbed varnish?

About 13" diameter. Bark came off so I removed it all and singed the edges with a torch.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks in advance.


Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#2

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

RonZ

>Both are very nice and I really like your singeing idea.

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#3

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

David Eaves

>Hi again,

I like this one too, and the charring the edges works well. The finish does look good.

On a photo front...

If you've got a white background I think this piece would suit it well, or you could underlight it a bit more with the black that would show the form more.

Thanks for posting

David

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#4

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

Chuck Ludwigsen

>I agree with David. This looks like too nice a piece for such dark lighting. Can you post another pic against a lighter background?

From what I can see you did a great job on the finish.

Chuck.

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#5

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

George Van

>I like it Mike.

Thanks for the great idea of the singed edge.

Why did you apply shellac before the oil-varnish?

George

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#6

re-PIC, as requested

Mike Schwing from Maryland

>Photography ain't my thing, but I'm working on caring about it. I agree, it looks better on a light colored background.


Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#7

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

Mike Schwing from Maryland

>Thanks. I apply a 2 lb. coat of Bull's Eye shellac as a sealer for the wood. It saves me 3 or 4 coats of wiped on varnish and near as I can tell looks no different. The tung oil varnish I prefer takes 2 days to reallly dry before I can recoat it - so the time really adds up when finishing with this method. Still, the warm sheen of a hand rubbed tung/varnish is hard to beat.

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#8

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA

>Very nice Mike! I have one that is almost identical to it which is just about dry enough to put back on the lathe for final turning. Mine still has the bark firmly attached, but whether or not it stays that way remains to be seen.

Bill

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

#9

Re: Black cherry natural edge (PIC)

JamieDonaldson

>Mike- the blue background does not work well with wood- notice the blue tint reflected in the wood. A neutral color such as gray, cream or white is a non-staining color that will work with most all woods. A white roll-up vinyl window shade for @$5 works very well and is really convenient to use and store away.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.