WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

Posts

Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#1

Heavy Radius Scraper  *LINK*

Chuck Ludwigsen

>Here is the heavy radiused bowl scraper I've been working on for quite awhile. I got the heat treating done last week and finally got the handle turned last night. The handle is made of Tarara (Canarywood). The blade is 9-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/2".

More images with some blade closeups are at my website, "Life Takes a Turn" under the "Shop/Tools/Jigs" section.

Chuck



Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#2

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper

John Lucas

>oooooh chuck your going to like that. I didn't realize how nice a thick scraper was until I took off that first shaving. What a difference.

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#3

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper

Rick R, So Cal

>Chuck,

Great looking tool. What type of steel is it? I also have a home made 1/2" thick scraper and it's one of my favorite tools, although it's not as pretty as yours.

Rick

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#4

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper

Chuck Ludwigsen

>Thank you, Rick. It is Oil-Hardening steel but I'm unsure of the carbon content. I got from a guy at an estate sale. I've been looking for sources for HSS in the sizes I want for scrapers but can't find anything that would make it worthwhile.

As far as looks go - I'm hoping this is the last time it looks this good.

Chuck.

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#5

HSS is pretty expensive.

Al Crandall -Pendleton, IN.-

>Chuck, I don't know what you mean by worthwhile, but here is a chunk of M2 HSS which would make that scraper for you. Part Number 7319K215 at McMaster.com will fetch you a chunk of steel which is 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 18 for $199.90 each. Might be cheaper to buy one already made.

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#6

Re: HSS is pretty expensive.

Chuck Ludwigsen

>Thats what I meant. I got this piece of carbon steel for ... are you ready for this? $1.00

That is not a typo.

Chuck.

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#7

Re: HSS is pretty expensive.

Doug Trembath

>Normally, Chuck, Tool steel isn't all that expensive, that is the stuff machinists use on a day to day basis. But a dollar? That's a drive-by gloat if I ever saw one! Nice scraper, hope it does everything you need it for. I bought a Glaser, and except for the few times I need a small one, it's the only scraper I pick up. Come to think of it, though, I seldom use a scraper at all.

Nice job...

Doug Trembath

Studio in the Woods

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#8

Re: HSS is pretty expensive. *LINK*

Rick R, So Cal

>Not to steal Chuck's thunder, but it IS possible to make a HSS 1/2" thick scraper cheap. Here is the link to my HSS "Ugly But Good" scraper:


Heavy bowl scraper *PIC*

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#9

Re: HSS is pretty expensive.

Chuck Ludwigsen

>COOL! Thanks Rick for pointing me to that. 7" should be sufficient for a 4-1/2" blade. Possibly more but I would want to keep enough tang in the handle.

I might just be ordering a couple of those in various sizes.

Thanks again for the link.

Chuck

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#10

Why solid HSS?

Bob Hackett

>Why not just make a scraper from cold rolled and then just braze a thinner HSS piece to the top?I use old planer blades and silver braze.The cutting edge is the only thing which needs to be HSS,the rest is just there for support.Making the body from CRS allows you to make whatever configuration you want and not be tied to only what can be ground from whatever HSS blanks are available.BTW-I get the planer blades free after they`re too short to resharpen.Yes,that was a drive-by gloat.

Mainely,Bob

Re: Heavy Radius Scraper *LINK*

#11

HSS 1 x 1/2" Scraper for US$69.71 *LINK*

Garrett in Victoria BC CA

>I have this one and really, really like it.

Cheers, Garrett


1/2" Thick Scraper

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.