WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Tool of the Week

Posts

Tool of the Week

#1

Tool of the Week

TDaniel

>Has anyone tried the Husky chainsaw filing guide with the two little vinyl rollers that we mentioned a few weeks ago? IMHO it is the best thing since sliced bread and only about $12. A little tricky to start with but very easy to use once you get the hang of it. You have to have one for each size chain and the instructions that come with it are worthless so take your saw with you to a Husky dealer and have them show you how to use it.

TD

Re: Tool of the Week

#2

not that one but....

Mike Schwing from Md.

>I bought the Oregon Tools saw filing guide at a Lowe's a month ago. A little finicky to learn how to use, but it is a REALLY nice little tool. Clamps on the bar, positive positioning of the link, depth stops, variable angle settings, definitely improved my chain sharpening.

I don't take it into the field with me but I haven't once needed to touch up a chain out there while working since starting to use that guide.

Re: Tool of the Week

#3

I just do it

Dustkmaker Mike

>free hand. I was taught by a logger how to sharpen free hand. I have different size files for different chains and every time I filler up I touch up the teeth. It took me a few times to get it right but since then I have made a lot of curls with it. I used to use a guide but I could never get the hang of it. Remember to file the Racks once in awhile also.

Re: Tool of the Week

#4

Re: Tool of the Week

John Lucas

>Terry

My friend Brad sells uses one of those and swears by it. Since he makes a living making fine art pieces with the chainsaw I asked him what he uses. He also has another tool lets him "joint" the next tooth. I don't remember what it is but will find out tomorrow.

Re: Tool of the Week

#5

Re: Tool of the Week

Joel Hunnicutt

>Every time I've tried to sharpen mine I end up cutting curves. Will this thing straighten me out?

Re: Tool of the Week

#6

Re: Tool of the Week

-e-

>My turning club invited Oregon Cutting Systems to put on a safety and maintenance course. We learned to sharpen chains in the field using a file-guide to get the right top-plate angle, and a depth-gauge file to properly set the depth-guage.

Before this course, I knew about the angle on the cutter, but didn't know anything about the depth-gauge (height & shape). This explained why even after sharpening, I wasn't getting a good cut.

Re: Tool of the Week

#7

Re: Tool of the Week

John Lucas

>a photo of brads work.


img

Re: Tool of the Week

#8

Re: Tool of the Week

John Lucas

>This is a photo of Brad with his Hydraulic Chainsaw and other saws on the wall. I just found out he's in Africa harvesting a Pink Ivory tree to be made into a vessel for his collectors. A documentary of the trip will be on some of the PBS stations later this year. I'll try to keep you posted.

When he and Steve get back I'll try to get some photos of the sharpening tools and how they work.


img

Re: Tool of the Week

#9

Re: Tool of the Week

TDaniel

>Yes Joel; it is the best thing I have ever used. I have sharpened by eye for years because I could do better by eye than with a jig or guide but I saw this one demoed by Husky at the Sunbelt Expo in Moultrie last fall and they convinced me it would do better than I could do by eye; they were correct; it works!

Re: Tool of the Week

#10

Re: Has the "k" always been in your name?

Al Crandall -Pendleton, IN.-

>

Re: Tool of the Week

#11

Re: Tool of the Week

Gary Bills in NC

>The reason your saw cuts in a curve is that one side of the blade (cutters angled to one side) is sharpened different than the other side. You must sharpen both sides equally and at the same angle.

Re: Tool of the Week

#12

No I guess this was a test

Dustmaker Mike

>to see if I was paying attention the last time I cleared my Cookies and redid my name. I Failed(-;

Re: Tool of the Week

#13

Re: Tool of the Week

MarkP4583

>Got one of those with mine also, played around trying to figure it out for about an hr before I tossed it in the top box and forgot about it.

My dealer is Lowe's, half of them dosnt know what a chain saw file is let alone how to sharpen one, so I just do it the old fashion way.

would like to know how it works, like you said the instructions are useless.

Re: Tool of the Week

#14

Re: Tool of the Week

Harvey Bernstein (Philly)

>I thought my Husky 'Sharpforce(Pfred)' file gizmo was simple to use. I can't wait to see this one.

Re: Tool of the Week

#15

Re: Tool of the Week

TDaniel

>Mark, take the chainsaw and the guide to a Husky dealer and have him show you how to use it; believe me, that will be quicker than me trying to tell you on here. It is really simple though once you know how to hook it onto the chain.

TD

Re: Tool of the Week

#16

Re: Tool of the Week

adrien

>The problem, Terry, is where to get one. The local Lowe's sells Huskies, but didn't carry the filing guide.

So I contacted Husqvarna on the web. They wanted to know the type and size of my chain. When after giving the information, and indicating that I had a Stihl, the respondent lost interest and declined any further help. The impression he gave was that there were different guides for different size chains.

Re: Tool of the Week

#17

Re: Tool of the Week

Harvey Bernstein (Philly)

>Hi Adrien, I was just at the Lowes in Langhorne Pa and saw that they had it in 2 sizes > .325 and 3/8.

Harvey

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.