WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Apple bowl with Inlace

Posts

Apple bowl with Inlace

#1

Apple bowl with Inlace

Dominic Greco in SNOWY! Richboro PA

>I finally finished this apple bowl that has been sitting around my shop for the last couple months.

It measures approximately 7" in diameter x 3 1/4" high, with a 3 1/4" diameter foot. The rim has a 1/4" band of lindsey inlace around it. The shape is generally reminiscent of Southwestern pottery. I'm finding that I'm drawn to these shapes more and more. (Probably Wally's influence!) :>)

On this bowl, I wanted to do something different. So I decided that I would use something to set off the rim a bit. First I turned a small raised rim. Then, around the rim I turned a shallow 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep groove and filled it with Inlace.

This was my first attempt using inlace. I found it exceptionally easy to use. The smell does take some getting used to though! (Phew!)

The bowl was dry sanded to 400, then wet sanded with a 50% mineral spirits/ 50% varnish mix from 180 to 2000 grit. The finish is polymerized tung oil.

After the finish was allowed to dry for a day, it was buffed with the Beall Buffing system.

Thanks for viewing

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic


img

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#2

Pic #2

Dominic Greco in SNOWY! Richboro PA

>Here is a shot of the bottom of the bowl showing the date, species and my signature.


img

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#3

Pic #3

Dominic Greco in SNOWY! Richboro PA

>Here is a pic of the side of the bowl showing the profile


img

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#4

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

Chuck Ludwigsen

>VERY nice. Great work Dom.

Chuck.

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#5

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

RonZ

>Very nicely done Dominic. I like that shape and the way you placed the inlace next to the raised lip.

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#6

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

Philip Duffy

>Dom, Wonderful form, and appreciate the insight into the use of inlace filler. Must try that one day soon. Philip

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#7

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

David Eaves

>Hi Dominic,

I really like the form, pottery is a great source of inspiration. The inlace at the top really sets it off too and adds extra interest. The finish looks excellent too.

Thanks for sharing

David

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#8

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

Mike Rubes

>Hi Dominic,

Nice work! I like the use of the inlace. I've played with using it some myself (or at least a home brewed version of the same stuff) and really like what it can do do a bowl.

Nice shape and finish on the apple. Sorry to hear about the snow!! Spring has Sprung here in Apex :)

Mike

Way too old for this much soccer in Apex, NC...

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#9

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

>Very nice! I am not familiar with inlace. Is it a mixture that is applied into the channel?

Tommy

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#10

Inlace explanation

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA

>Tommy,

Thanks for the compliments!

Inlace is a (2) part resin that comes in a variety of colors. The inlace paste comes in a 8 oz can, and the hardener in a small bottle. You take about 1 oz about of inlace, and add a capful of hardener. Then you have a short time in which to apply it.

After establishing the shape, I formed the 1/4" wide groove. I then added the inlace paste and allowed it to dry overnight. After it dries, it turns very easy.

I bought my inlace from Turtlefeathers.com, although you can also get it from Packard Woodworks, and Craft Supplies USA

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#11

Re: Pic #3

Wally Dickerman at Green Valley, Az.

>Very nice Dom. It's hard to tell from the photo, is the widest part of the form above or below center?

Wally

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#12

Thanks Dom

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

>I'd like to give that a try some day...thanks!

Tommy

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#13

Below center

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA

>Wally,

Thanks for the compliment!

The widest portion of this bowl is below center by about 1/2" to 3/4".

See ya,

Dominic

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

#14

Re: Apple bowl with Inlace

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA

>Very nice Dominic! That is not one of the prettiest pieces of apple I have ever seen, but the form is excellent, and the inlace really sets it off. Great job!

Bill

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.