WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Giant Pear W/pics

Posts

Giant Pear W/pics

#1

Giant Pear W/pics

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

>I guess you can call this project a "folly" for me. Recently I got a whim to try my hand at making a huge piece of fruit out of wood. I figured it might be novel to do and to adorn the top of our kitchen cabinets.

This is (obviously) a pear. It is about 10" or 12" diameter and I'm not sure how tall. The irony to this piece is that it is a PEAR turned out of CHERRY! ;-) I do not own a hollowing tool so it is solid inside.

I painted the surface with acrylic paints. I hand carved the stem and painted it too.

I rather like this big fruit and so I might try my hand at turning some more. I think a giant apple is next! ;-)

Thanks for viewing....please don't squeeze the produce. ;-)

Tommy


img

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#2

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

Don Orr

>That's beautiful! What a hoot! The paint job is outstanding also. Makes me want to take a BIG bite! Let us see what else falls from the tree.

Thanks, Don

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#3

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA

>Folly, Tommy? Pear-ish the thought! I think it looks great, and it will certainly be a conversation piece. Very well done - it certainly has the ap-pear-ance of the real thing. ;-) And with that pear of puns, I will depart.

Bill

PS I got your email, and will respond shortly. A fine use for that piece of wood.

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#4

Very nice, Tommy!!

KurtK in Indy

>That really looks great. I would imagine it weighs a good bit so it could also be used as a battering ram (at my house anyway). As always Tommy....your whimsy and creativity are an inspiration to us wanna be's. I can't wait to see the cauliflower ears, asparagus spears, oh....and a hot dog?

Well done!

Kurt

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#5

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK

>Tommy,

That is a very realistic looking pear. From the pictured you would not know if it were large or small just that it is a pear. You need to turn a fruit bowl as big as a dining room table now to hold all the different fruits.

Thanks for showing it.

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#6

What a pair you've got there!

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA

>Nicely done Tommy! Looks real to me.

next you could make a bunch of cherries out of pear wood, and then an orange from apple wood.

See ya,

Dominic

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#7

Giant pair w/pics...I expected...

BubbaBob

>...a pic of Dolly Parton...LOL....is the giant apple gonna be pear tree wood?

BubbaBob

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#8

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

bill crommett in Seneca

>I can't wait to see what Gumbine does to your "APPLE" turning.

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#9

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

David Eaves

>Awesome, the paint finish is really convincing too. Look forward to seeing more in this series.

David

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#10

Folks: it's a fake fake.

Tom Sontag - St. Louis

>Since the picture has no coin or pencil for scale, how do we really know it is "large"? Hmm? And considering the author's, er, reputation for flummery and Tomfoolery, I think it is fair to conclude that what we have here is a pear masquarading as a fake pear. It is well known that one of the best ways to hide is right out in front of everyone and this pear has obviously heard about the trick.

Nice try Tommy. Nice square base though.

Ain't foolin' this fellar. I know a fake pear when I see one.

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#11

Inadvertent scale

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

>Doubting Thomas huh?

Well, unintentionally I did include a scale! Look at the picture again, right behind it is the 8" siding on my garage.

If that doesn't satisfy you then come and take a bite. Just remember...I won't cover your dental bills! ;-)

Tommy

Re: Giant Pear W/pics

#12

One great pear.

Dave Smith

>Hi Tommy,

I like the pear. You did a great job with the finish. Now let's see a hedge apple made out of Osage orange.

Dave Smith

Getting hungry in Longview, WA.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.