WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Posts

Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#1

Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>I would like to know how other turners track their inventory during craft shows. On my inventory sheet, I simply add a tick mark every time I sell identically priced items (specifically, tree ornaments or magic wands). However, most of my wares are "one-of" vessels each with a different price. I put a sticker on the bottom of each vessel with the price and an inventory number. The same information is on my computer-generated inventory sheet (along with sales tax, total cost, and space for notations about who purchased it, check/CC number, discount, etc). I rarely write out a receipt but I have them available.

The problems with my system are:

1) I am constantly forgetting to write on my inventory sheet when I get busy.

2) A price change requires edits to the sticker, the inventory sheet, and the computer file.

3) Clerical errors produce nagging problems that screw up my accounting.

4) I have no proof of sales (after I make the bank deposit) for items paid by check or cash.

Am I making this harder than it needs to be or should I implement more accurate accounting practices? Keep in mind that my "day job" is that of a research professor at a large university so I have no idea how businesses in the real world truly function.

I would like to change to a sheet with 4 columns labeled: vessels, lidded boxes, ornaments, and wands. At the time of sale, I would write down the price in the "boxes" or "vessels" column, or make a tick mark for "wands" or "ornaments". Unfortunately with this system, I lose information about the value of my inventory, types of vessels sold (bowls, hollow forms, carved/textured), discounts given, and checks of my clerical errors.

I would love to streamline the process as much as possible but I also need to maintain accounting accuracy for my fledgling craft business (Boxes & Bowls Woodworks). Any and all comments are welcomed.

John

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#2

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Terry Quiram

>John

I attach a string tag with a tracking number and price. When the item is sold I write a receipt for the customer and keep the tag.

Terry

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#3

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Peter Teubel

>Sounds like alot of extra work. I simply have a sticker on all my pieces with price and inventory number. When a sale is made, I write the price, inventory number, and method of payment on the receipt. At the END of the show, I do all the paperwork and put everything into a spreadsheet for further analysis.

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#4

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Bill Hale / The Wood Spinner

>Remember the KISS system.

I do not keep inventory numbers etc.

As an item sells cash a receipt is written showing the item, price and tax. For credit card the credit card form is used.

At the end of a show they are totaled and I am done.

You are there and you know what you sold. I make notes about the show and keep them for next years decision on if I want to go back or not.

KISS = KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

This is of the best management tools ever devised.

Good turning and be safe

Bill

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#5

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Doug Trembath

>John, there's no magic bullet about this, but it does help to keep the info available. At busy venues, as you know it can get a bit hectic. I keep a record of transactions vicariously by asking the client to put their name and address on a "Client List". On the same entry I record the item sold and price. This affords me a record of each piece sold and who bought it. I also build my contact base for future show announcements, artist newsletters, etc. Credit card sales monitor themselves with the seller's copy of the receipt, and checks are self explanatory. No inventory numbers are required. My accountant likes the way this is done, since I can easily extract the pertinent data from a database I built for after the show, when the info is all compiled. Simple to manage, it also flatters the buyer by showing them I am interested in them, not just their money. No one has deferred filling out the form so far.

HTH

Doug Trembath

Studio in the Woods

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#6

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

ken Riedel

>This year will be my first for shows . i will be using removable stickers with all necessary informantion on them.at time of sale I will remove sticker for my records.

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#7

Richard Allen

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Richard Allen

>Hi John

What are all the records used for?

Thanks

Richard

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#8

What about lost inventory?

Ray Johnson

>How do you keep track of the inventory while at the show? Do you lose much stuff due to shoplifting, etc.? How do you account for it in your records?

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#9

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>The records are for both the IRS and me. The IRS (and I) needs reasonable business records of sales and expenditures.

Primarily, I use my inventory list to help keep a balance between big vessels and little vessels, hollow forms and open bowls, simple and carved/textured vessels, and a variety of boxes. It also lets me know how large my inventory is for any particular type of turning. This is important around the holiday season (when I need lots of ornaments) or if there was a recent release of Harry Potter movie/DVD/book (wands!). I like to go to a show with an absolute minimum of 50 vessels, 15 boxes, and 30 wands. Generally, I will have twice this inventory.

The inventory sheets also tells me what types of vessels sell at the various shows. I now know that my most elaborate (read expensive) carved vessels do well in DC but Baltimore customers prefer smaller vessels (read cheaper) with lots of color (e.g., box elder) or highly figured. So, for my show next month in Baltimore, I will have a few "impressive pieces" to draw them into the booth, but I spend most of my time making boxes, wands, and small, simple 6" to 10" bowls and hollow forms.

At the end of the day, I also use all of my records to help rectify any clerical errors or identify loses due to theft.

John

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#10

Richard Allen

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Richard Allen

>Hi John

Are you going to the meeting tomorrow?

Thanks

Richard

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#11

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA

>Hi John

I do it pretty much like Bill Hale does. I make a bunch of stuff, and for organizational purposes I might make a list of what I have just so I know what dollar amount of merchandise I have for a show, but when it comes to writing stuff down for real it all depends on the receipts for customers, which are itemized as to what they bought as well as the dollar figure. Custom or one of a kind items are described as well. If I am off site (which has been a while) I use handwritten receipts or CC slips with an imprinter. Once we get home, everything goes into the computer in Quickbooks.

Bill

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#12

Re: What about lost inventory?

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>This is a problem due to my habit of forgetting to write information down on the inventory sheet. I suspect I have lost a wand or two but I think my other items are all accounted for. Of course wand transactions are usually a Dad slipping me $20 for wand his kid selected and off they go. Sometimes I eventually remember to mark it down, sometimes I mark it down twice.

John

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#13

Yep. See you there.

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

#14

Re: Inventory accounting at craft shows [long]

Greg Mitchell

>John here are a few tips that help me. Don't add sales tax include it in the price. use sticker, the little round ones different colores for different items (such as blue for bowls) put price and item # on sticker, list on a sheet of paper, date of show list how paid in coulmns (check ,cash). when you make a sale take the dot off the item and put it in the proper coulmn on your sheet of paper, keep in a file after the show with a sheet listing item # and discription. If you want to keep track of your customers have a sheet of paper and have them (not you) fill it out.keep it simple at the show after the show do your records at home. and if you get to busy or fustated at a show. Step back take a deep breath and say to your self these people can wait. works for me, Greg

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.