WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

Posts

2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

#1

2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>I am still interested in adding a extension bed to my Nova 3K to make a 24" bowl lathe (originally posted below). With everyone's help (on-line and by email), I have decided to mount the extension bed 180 degrees to the Nova bed and move the lathe to the middle of the room so that I can work from both sides. I would like to use the banjo from a PM 4224 ($90) but I cannot decide which extension bed to use. The extension bed for the 4224 is way too expensive.

My viable options:

1) The extension bed for the 3520 is affordable ($205) and I understand that the banjo for the 4224 can be modified to fit it. Unfortunately, George Moore (thanks George!) thinks that the end of the bed is not 90 degrees to the ways thus making it difficult to mount squarely. This may not be a hugh problem.

2) The 20" long extension bed for the Nova is cheap ($155) and has flat ends with four holes and 2 alignment pins. Unfortunately, it may not be compatable with the PM banjo.

My requests to PM owners:

1) Is there at least one flat end to the 18" extension bed for the PM3520?

2)Can the PM4224 or the PM3520 banjo be readily modified to fit the Nova bed? The Nova bed's ways are made from 13/32" thick metal with a horizonal gap of 1-31/32". The horizonal gap underneath the ways for the hold-down clamp to travel is 2-15/32".

Thanks for everyone's help

John

Re: 2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

#2

Re: 2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

Rick R. ,So Cal

>John,

The PM4224 banjo is very heavy duty so I think it is a good choice. The only problem might be that it will make the Nova feel like a toy and you may want to buy the rest of the PM4224!

The PM3520 extension (18" long) has a flat right angle mating face, 8"x8" with 3 mounting holes. The other end is rounded.

For the small price difference, forget about the Nova extension. The PM3520 extension is a substantial 8" wide, where the Nova is a only 4" wide. The Nova will feel like a mini lathe in comparison.

I have both the 3520 and Nova 3k.

Rick

Re: 2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

#3

Thanks

John Trant (aka Boxes-n-Bowls)

>Thank you for the guidance! You pretty much told me everything I wanted to hear. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

You are correct that I would love to have a big PM3520, VL300, VB, Stubby, etc but this will have to do for the short term.

Thanks again,

John

Re: 2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

#4

Re: 2 ? for PM owners (a re-post)

John Lucas

>John

check out www.toolnut.com and ask for a price. I got my bed extension for the 3520 for $175. It's backordered but I'm looking for it shortly. John

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.