WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

boxwood

Posts

boxwood

#1

boxwood

John in 'rural' Festus, MO

>I've got access to several 6 inch diameter lengths of boxwood. Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) turning it?

Thanks, John

Re: boxwood

#2

Re: boxwood

Bill Hale / The Wood Spinner

>Nice color and a little soft.

What I turned was a little bad, punky, but turned ok. Not a wood I will do again.

Good turning and be safe

Bill

Re: boxwood

#3

Re: bowlsaver & Jet Mini *LINK*

Fred Holder

>Boxwood is one of my favorite woods to turn. Unfortunately, it is a hedge wood and is never very large in size. It makes excellent little boxes and other small stuff. It is one of the best woods to use for screw threads. It is hard and dense and holds fine detail well. I would say grab the wood.


Fred Holders Domain

Re: boxwood

#4

Re: boxwood

RonZ

>It's one of the best turning woods around. It's what used the 'white' side of a chess board, ebony being black. It takes detail extremely well and as was mentioned, it takes theads well, too. If you don't want it I'll take it. =o)

Re: boxwood

#5

Brad Vietje

Re: boxwood

Brad Vietje

>ER, AH, I think there may be a bit of confusion here ...???

Boxwood, or European Boxwood, is perhaps the finest turning wood in the world -- heavy, hard, and extremely fine grained, it takes detail as well as any wood there is. Highly prised, and VERY expensive.

Boxelder, on the other hand, (a.k.a. Ash-Leaf Maple, or Manitoba Maple) is one of the great weed trees of North America -- soft, fast growing (often has growth rings 1/2" apart !) and essentially useless for anything but turning. While soft and weak, the wood is good for turning, especially if streaked with bright pink, which is common (and unrelated to Ambrosia Maple). The burls are absolutely beautiful (see pic, below). If there is a God, Boxelder may have been their gift to North American turners -- nobody else wants it !


img

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.