SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

Posts

Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#1

Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

Lyn J. Mangiameli

>The Kelton Hollowers are some of my favorite and most used hollowing tools. The shapes are sized just about perfectly to go from opening up the form to final cutting under a rim. While fairly fast and efficient at wood removal, they also can leave a very good surface, often times saving one from having to make a final smoothing pass with a teardrop style shear scraper. They are not, for some, intuitively easy to use, nor are the Kelton website instructions on their use. What follows are some brief comments on how I have had success using mine.

Like with most hollowing tools, it is best to begin by drilling a hole to near the intended internal depth of your final turning. Just how large that hole should be is dependent on the size of the hollower used, but you can get by with it being only slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft. Then use the straightest tool to enlarge that shaft, working from top down in stages. After the central body is opened up, you can then switch to the more curved shafts. Your choice of the curved shafts will depend on the shape of your hollow form and where you are within it. Using these tools, begin at the mouth and move outwards to final wall thickness. As with any hollowing, you want to work deeper in concentric steps, allowing the thicker more distal walls to support the area where you are thinning out to final thickness.

The shape of the tips allows for several different cuts to be made off different portions of the tip. The tips are capable of taking a rather large bite when used horizontally as a traditional scraping tool because of the relatively large contact surface they offer, thus I most often use them at least slightly angled with the tip dipped counterclockwise in more of a shear scraping position. The horizontal position can be effective for aggressively removing a large amount of wood when initially clearing the form, but I think those who have had difficulty with the Keltons have failed to roll the tool over to the shearing position progressively more as the wall is thinned. Generally, like with most scraping tools, you want to use these at a 9 o'clock or slightly higher level within the form, though this is less critical as the tool is rolled over for shear scraping.

Keep in mind that you often can deal with the bottom center "cone" that usually forms by using the "back" of the tool tip moved to the right. This is usually safer than trying to approach the "cone" head with the usual cutting side of the tip. Again, I'd keep the tool slightly angled, though a shearing cut is not as critical here.

While you can use the Kelton hollowers with an adapter in an armbrace, I personally don't find it to be the best combination. While an armbrace obviously allows a lot more freedom of movement than the torsionally restrained rigs (Jamieson, Kelton�s own, etc), it is not as easy to rotate tools with an armbrace as it is with a traditional handle. I prefer a round handle, as I am regularly rotating the Kelton Hollowers into just the right shearing action. This is not to say that the hollowers can�t be used with a torsionally restrained system, and indeed they are intended to be the primary hollowing shafts for the Kelton version of such rigs, but I would emphasize that you will have more control over shearing angles when the tools are used freehand.

You can also control their aggressiveness by how great a burr you put on the tool. Generally I find only a slight burr is the most desirable. I find a burr most easily obtained on these tools by using a slipstone held vertically and stroked upward when the tool is held horizontally. There is a slight bevel on these tools, so just align the slipstone to contact both high points of the bevel as you stroke. If you can feel the edge being raised with your fingernail, this is enough. I will occasionally smooth off the top of the tool so that a fresh burr will be formed, but do this cautiously so that you are mostly removing only the raised surfaces of the burr. The top of the Kelton hollowers has a specially hardened layer, so you don't want to eventually remove that (I don't believe I ever have, and I've used these tools a lot and for a long time). I have never taken these tools to a grinder, and do all my edge/burr maintenance by hand. I prefer the Henry Taylor two slipstone set that is available from Craft Supplies (the large is great for use on the Keltons and general flute maintenance, the small works perfectly for Glaser bowl gouge flutes) over diamond or waterstone slipstones, though all will work. I generally use a fine diamond credit card to smooth the tops.

These tools are relatively tolerant with respect to lathe speed. I think Kelton generally recommends something in the 800-1000 range, though I often use even lower speeds, as is my usual preference with all hollowing tools. Higher speeds will work for smaller work, but are more likely to induce vibration.

Like with all hollowing tools, it is important to clear the chips/shavings often to prevent them from building up and interfering with tip contact with the wood. Again, a shear scraping cut is less sensitive to chip build up when the tip is used perpendicular to the wood surface. With the lathe turned by hand or powered down to nearly zero rpm, the tools can actually be helpful in guiding the shavings out of the form.

There is likely more to be said, but these are some of the issues that have developed for me in my use of these excellent tools. I�ll try to revise and expand this with input from other Kelton Hollower users.

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#2

A few questions.

David Hammond, in Powder Springs GA

>Thanks for the article Lyn. I'm looking into hollowing tools, and this article, amongst your others, have been a great help. I read your article on the Proform hollowers, and heard the praise for those tools - what do you think of a ring tool, with a shield, such as the Hamlet Goliath? I would prefer a shaving over scaper dust, so I lean towards Hamlet Hollowers and their ring tool, in a captured system like the Kelton for large hollow forms - would you mind giving me your opinion on these ideas? I know a top-notch machinest, capable of just about anything put before him, who could possible make me a version of a ring tool cutter and shield, as the Hamlet Goliath Hollower seems rather over-priced. He should be able to make me a ring tool, with shield, on several different shafts, straight, bent, etc., and I'm wondering what this idea sounded like to someone else, who knows a lot about tools and hollowing. I'd be very gratefull of your opinion here, or anyone elses for that matter. Thanks, Lyn, your writing and approach to woodturning tools is much appreciated.

David

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#3

Re: A few questions.

Lyn J. Mangiameli

>I'm almost done with a major update to the Brief Hollowing Tools article I did a couple of years ago. I continue to have a fondness for cutting tools, and my current preferences in that category are the Proforme (no surprise) and the new Rollo Munro tool (available from Lee Valley). I only have the original Big Brother and have never been fond of it. It is rugged, but adjustment is primitive and a big hassle. Nor do I find it to work as well as most other cutting tools.

With the Goliath, there is not presently a swan neck version, which I find a big minus. While the large ring size may sound appealing, I really question if it is practicle to remove wood at that rate compared to the already fast rate of the other cutting tools, afterall, you can only produce so many shavings before you have to clear the interior to allow for further cutting. The very large ring also limits how small you can make the mouth, in this case you will always be forced to work with mouths larger than 1 inch. Furthermore, and I have this complaint about the Munro as well, I don't like it when the heads of tools are greater in size than the shafts. It seems to me this results in a larger mouth than necessary, or a smaller shaft size than would be possible. Frankly, I also question just how practical that one inch ring is on only a 3/4 inch diameter shaft. That 1 inch ring is going to be capable of taking an awfully big bite, which is apt to make a 3/4 inch shaft prone to flex when the overhang over the tool rest is significant (of course if you are making up your own, you can put it on any size shaft you want, just making sure that one end necks down to fit into the Kelton rig--though then you will loose ability to control extension). Finally, that 1 inch ring, with its overall radius, will limit the size curves you are able to create within the form. So all in all, I think thing the Goliath size ring has very limited in application, and other alternatives are superior.

Here's the write up I had on the Big Brother from an earlier version of the article:

Hamlet Big Brother: many sources including http://www.packardwoodworks.com/ and Craft Supplies. Another guarded ring tool. The original 5/8 diameter straight shaft has a longer shaft than the Proforme but less than the Exocet Super. It now also comes in a smaller 1/2 shaft �Little Brother� version, and a large 3/4 inch straight shaft �Goliath� version as well a 1/2 inch swan necked shaft. The usual configuration is a straight shaft with head that can be swiveled off axis to make cuts difficult or impossible for some other cutting tools, but also makes for potentially strong torsional forces. The standard Big Brother has a good handle of a nice length (26 inches compared to shorter standard handles for Proformes, 40 inch handles for Exocet Super and the long handle for the Proforme). The head and guard are held to the shaft with single bolt, making precise adjustment a nightmare (try adjusting the guard without the head wanting to move). Because of this, I dislike this tool. More prone to clog than most cutting tools, but virtually indestructible. Whenever I need to do something abusive, I use this tool (since I don't care if it dies), but it has held up to the worst things I've been able to do to it.

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#4

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

David Eaves

>Thanks for the reviews, I have read your other article on bowl savers and it is all feeding in to what I might purchase in future.

David

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#5

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

GeeSeaWhy

>A couple of comments and a question:

I would emphasize the need to keep the cutting tip above the centre line. I got plenty of shoulder-wrenching catches, especially with the curved tools, before I figured that out.

I recently purchased the Kelton hollowing gate. This does not restrain the tool in a way that would prevent or control catches, but it does seem to make it easier to maintain a smooth cut in the finishing stages - when positioned correctly. Positioned incorrectly, it just restricts movement of the tool.

Cutting towards centre at the base to take out the central cone - do you rotate the tool clockwise or anti-clockwise in this situation?

Graeme

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

#6

Re: Tips for Kelton Hollower Use--early draft

Lyn J. Mangiameli

>Graeme wrote:

"I would emphasize the need to keep the cutting tip above the centre line. I got plenty of shoulder-wrenching catches, especially with the curved tools, before I figured that out."

While it is good practice to keep the cutting tip at or slightly above the 9 o'clock postion, rotating your tool for a shearing cut will make it much less sensitive to position and eliminate those wrenching catches. I don't recommend it to new users, but I regularly cut far below center line with these tools. One can get by with this if one understands and is alert to tip orientation.

Graeme wrote:

"I recently purchased the Kelton hollowing gate. This does not restrain the tool in a way that would prevent or control catches, but it does seem to make it easier to maintain a smooth cut in the finishing stages - when positioned correctly. Positioned incorrectly, it just restricts movement of the tool."

I totally agree, and this applies to any of the gated and pin rests such as the Phil Irons and BestWoodTools.

Graeme wrote:

"Cutting towards centre at the base to take out the central cone - do you rotate the tool clockwise or anti-clockwise in this situation?"

Clockwise. It continues to be clockwise as you have both reversed the side of the tip and reversed the direction of rotation. One can ignore the whole clockwise, counter (anti) clockwise concepts if one just makes sure the leading edge of the tool is lower than the trailing edge for a shearing cut.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.