source for metal inlays
Paul Keller in MN
>I am looking for a source for brass and copper granuals to use for inlay. Know I have seen it but...... the memory well she just aint what she used to be. Thanks in advance.
Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge
source for metal inlays
Paul Keller in MN
>I am looking for a source for brass and copper granuals to use for inlay. Know I have seen it but...... the memory well she just aint what she used to be. Thanks in advance.
Re: source for metal inlays
Brian Roberts
>Hi Paul - I have used a belt sander to make copper and brass "filings" from scrap pipe and fittings. For very fine and pure brass and other metal powders I have used products made for the auto paint industry. They are used in making metal flake type finishes and are available in many particle sizes and colors. I don't remember the company name but a Google search for brass powder, powdered brass, or metal flakes, etc. should work.
Back to the belt sander - after sanding up a pile of brass (rig up a catch box at the end of the belt sander) I sifted thru an old nylon to refine it. By varying what you sift with you can get from pretty fine to rather course powder. A certain amount of abrasive ends up in the brass, but hasn't been enough to be noticeable.
Brian
Re: source for metal inlays *LINK*
YoYoSpin
>Paul,
Here's a great supplier for all sorts of metal powders...link below. I've used the copper and silver powders, with a little thin CA, to fill voids in Buckeye Burl pens, and it really works well.
best regards,
Ed D.
Mica Powders
Crescent Bronze Powder Co.
Brian Roberts
>I remembered the company name but, alas, don't remember which supplier I got it from. A call to them should produce a distributor.
Crescent Bronze Powder CO Inc
3400 North Avondale Avenue, Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 539-2441
Brian
Re: source for metal inlays
Bill Hale / The Wood Spinner
>I know this is not granular but try your local key shop for brass. Free
Good turning and be safe
Bill
Re: source for metal inlays *LINK*
Phil Joines Krum, Texas
>This is a supplier of lab grade metal powders. Any one for Yttrium inlays?
BTW tha color of the inlay can be effected by the way it's used. Putting the powder in place and using thin super glue can look differant than premixing it with epoxy.
Metal powders