SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

Posts

How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#1

How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

Henry (Raleigh NC)

I have a project and want to know how you would approach making it.

This is to be an L-shaped paint-grade bench, to be used inside and fixed in place, for use with a dining table - to be supported by three base 'boxes'. These boxes will form the base of the bench and be trimmed to match the wainscotting as shown in the pic.


So would you:

1. Build a 4 sided plywood box, and then apply the wainscotting (a base piece, 2 uprights, and a top piece for each side), and finally add in the 'base cap' moulding in the middle rectangle? That means each side has the primary plywood face, 4 trim pcs attached, and then 4 pcs of moulding.

Or

2. Use a full piece of plywood for the wainscotting, cut out the interior, and attach a backer to the hole, and apply the 'base cap' moulding in the middle rectangle?

Approach 2 would be many fewer pieces to cut fit and apply, and make for many seams. It does require straight cuts internally, not a task suited to a table saw like cutting the applied pieces would be.

I am leaning to the 2nd option. What would you do?

Henry

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#2

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

William Duffield

Reference the top left corner of your photo. The joints in the frame pieces are indicative of the quality of the "carpentry." I always look for them. If they are not there, I assume the whole facade is stamped or injection molded plastic or some other mass produced fakery. #1 is the only acceptable choice.

YMMV :D

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#3

Not sure I understand?

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Ok, but if you were to build something where it is stated that the trim or look of the new piece is to match the style as shown, would you

1. go with installing the 4 individual pieces plus 4 pcs base cap?

or

2. cut out a hole and add base cap to the edges of the hole and add a backer piece in the hole?

I guess I am unsure why you state #1 is the only option - would you choose that if working from scratch?

Henry

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#4

Re: Not sure I understand?

William Duffield

Yes, I would choose #1 even if working from scratch, because it should be obvious, but subtle, that you did real frame and panel construction. Another consideration: If you cut out a hole, your "panel" is held in place with only brads, two sets of them, through the molding. It is incredibly easy to accidentally kick it in. The panel should be set in grooves all the way around.

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#5

I understand.

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Ahhh, you mean make a real frame and panel set for each side of the box...I understand. Thanks William.

Not sure I am going to go that way, but I had not thought of using a 'real' f&p, versus an applied trim approach. Likely going with some sort of fakery...

Henry

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#6

ditto

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

the show sides of the box would be a frame and panel. Why not make the bench this way? For me it would be the most simple construction. Frame would be poplar. Panel....anything.

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#7

Trim to match?

Henry (Raleigh NC)

In an abstract world, yes I agree.

In this request, I have the specific constraint that the bench base trim is to look like the trim of the house - so as to look original. So even if I do a real frame and panel, the applied molding on the panel will be paint grade base cap.

Henry

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#8

then it is even easier

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Mortise and tenon (or equivalent) the frame together with a plywood panel. Add the molding with miters. Trivial quick construction. The frame can be assembled with dowels, M&T, biscuits, loose tenon. For a built in you could even get by tenoning in the top and bottom to the slot for the panel. Unsure why this construction would not be the simplest and preferred.

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

#9

Re: How would you build a box with 'wainscotting'?

John in NM

If the inside of the boxes has to be usable for storage, I would go with #1. It will require less thinking to get a clean inside with a bottom that way.

If the inside is not to be accessible, I would build the 4 sides as frames held together with pocket screws and tack/glue a panel to the back of each before assembling into a box. Gusset the corners with scrap triangles glued and nailed or screwed. Pocket screws are fantastic for this kind of construction, they are just strong enough, when the joint is also glued, but not overkill like an MT is for this sort of application. In this case I would also do the molding & trim as Bill outlined.

I would never do #2. Strikes me as an attractively simple concept that will be hard to execute well. But then I don't know your shop set up or level of experience, perhaps it would be the best for your situation.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.