SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Pre treating lumber pile for insects

Posts

Pre treating lumber pile for insects

#1

Pre treating lumber pile for insects

Barry Irby

I have just brought home a pile of soft maple from the sawmill and will be getting 3 or 4 more pickup loads. Plan to pile them outdoors with a cover. Combination of 4/4 lumber and 9/4 slabs.

Any advice on spraying it first with some sort of insect/mold protection would be appreciated. What should I use? (Thinking Boracare) I'm near Richmond VA if that matters.

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

#2

Timbor is the other option

Dick Coers

Just something with Borax is a must. Both are a preventive pesticide and must go on quickly after cutting. A garden sprayer is the tool of choice.

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

#3

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

Ralph Lipeles

I assume that you have many small 3/4 x 3/4 sticks so that you will have air spaces between the boards.

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

#4

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

Barry Irby

Yes, I do have stickers. I have dried lots of lumber and am reusing the stickers.

I am going to order some Boracare. Not sure, but I think the bugs find maple very tasty.

This pile is killing me. Lots of 9/4 slabs and somehow I have gotten older.

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

#5

Re: Pre treating lumber pile for insects

Brian Chitwood

You are smart for spraying. I lost a bunch of soft maple a few years ago. Was di

sapointing to not be able to use it. They feasted on it. This was in Iowa.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.