SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

To fill or not to fill

Posts

To fill or not to fill

#1

To fill or not to fill

Craig Spacek

I'm making an outdoor cabinet to use as a prep area next to the grill. The top will be a slab of live oak. Live oak is very rot resistant but naturally has lots of big checks and splits in the milled surface. I'm planning on spar varnish for the finish and keeping it mostly shaded.

I'm debating whether or not to fill the checks with epoxy. I'm afraid if I leave them open they'll collect water and insects. If I fill them I'm thinking the checks will just get bigger as the wood expands and contracts around the epoxy. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Re: To fill or not to fill

#2

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: To fill or not to fill

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Maybe bridge the larger checks with a bow-tie or two, then fill with epoxy.

Re: To fill or not to fill

#3

Re: To fill or not to fill

Ke

I think I would use some sort of flexible product that can expand and contract with moisture changes without falling out. Boat caulks

Re: To fill or not to fill

#4

Bar top finish?


Re: To fill or not to fill

#5

Re: To fill

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Go ahead and fill, with or without "flys", but choose a color. Pigment will extend the resin's life. Clear epoxy will "yellow" and degrade even with indirect sunlight.

To minimize dimensional changes, finish both sides of your slab. Good rule with horizontal surfaces is to renew the coating every 2 years, especially for a working surface.

Re: To fill or not to fill

#6

Re: To fill or not to fill

David Weaver

I think filling will allow less water absorption but not none, just as you say - it'll expand and contract and the small gaps will still take on water. If you want it to last, I think you'll need to cover it with something.

You can, of course, encase it in some kind of heavy finish (like a two part epoxy), but eventually that will come off, too, and be a pain to deal with - just not immediately.

Re: To fill or not to fill

#7

Kneale Brownson

Re: To fill or not to fill

kneale brownson

My experience using marine spar varnish (from the boat shop, not the hardware) on things like screen doors and wooden signs is it will need refreshing regularly.

The only outdoor finishes I've had hold up for multiple years are polyurethane paint and sign paint.

Re: To fill or not to fill

#8

same...

David Weaver

...just replaced some wooden railing that had been refreshed with spar urethane about 5 times. It still looked good, but the trouble areas at junctions, etc, eventually took on moisture and rotted. The railing was in sun about 1/3rd of the day, but still needed refreshing about two times out of each three years. When it didn't look good, I knew thanks to my spouse notifying me.

Re: To fill or not to fill

#9

Thanks for the input

Craig Spacek

I decided to fill the checks with epoxy. When the finish needs to be redone it should at least be an easy job on a flat surface. Hopefully not too often.

I'm starting to understand why live oak is not a more popular wood among furniture makers. All the checks and splits make it tough to get any usable lumber out of a board.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.