WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Posts

OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#1

OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

I have a couple rolls of plastic snow/security fence I need to cut in half. These are 100-foot rolls of 4-foot tall fence. I need to cut them in half to make 2-foot tall fences to keep the geese off my newly germinated grass at my place on the river. The rolls are nice tight rolls now, so I'm thinking this is the time to cut them. Tools I have available are Sawzall, barrel grip saber saw, table saw, radial arm saw (unlikely) and circular saw. I think this would be a perfect job for a band saw, but not available. Any recommendations? I really don't want to cut 200 feet of fence with a utility knife.


Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Jack Guzman from Maine

I would rip through that with my circular saw(skil-saw).

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#3

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Tom Dunlap

Clamp the roll flat and tight with four boards.

cut with a find sawzall blade

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive hot cutting knife. If you hot cut do it with lots of wind and stay upwind. Toxic fumes have to be part of this solution.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#4

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Barry Irby

Plus 1 on Tom's solution. Might work well with two boards on one side.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#5

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

johnv

I cut fence like this with a sawsall and a relatively fine tooth blade. took just seconds. no need to mess with clamping. I laid it on my work bench with a couple of 2x4 pieces snugged up to keep it from rolling.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#6

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence? *LINK*

Yonak

If tin snips wouldn't cut it, I would go with gardening loppers / branch trimmer. ...Or, if it's thin enough, a pair titanium scissors.


titanium scissors

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#7

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Sam Force

Sawsall, would take less than a minute

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#8

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

William Duffield

Freeze it, and cut it with a sawzall (before it thaws out).

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#9

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Mark Nowicki

A cheap handsaw.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#10

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

Ralph Lipeles

I'm with you Mark. A conventional hand saw is the simplest and best way to go.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#11

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

walta

box cutter knife

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#12

Thanks guys, sawzall worked great

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Nice cuts took no time at all. Used a fine tooth blade. Thanks for the suggestions. Let's hope the geese find this to be a good barrier.


Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#13

Looks good BUT?

Keith L Newton

Can Chicago Geese not fly over something that high?

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#14

Re: Looks good BUT?

Tom Dunlap

I've heard from many lakeshore owners that short fencing or a non-mowed grass shoreline will keep geese out.

The long grass...or fence...is where 'fox hide' and they stay away. Apparently they rarely cross over into the yard.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#15

ebd

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

ebd

+1 for the handsaw. That was the first thing I thought of.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#16

Re: Looks good BUT?

John Veerkamp

geese will not fly over that height into a small enclosure. If the open area is more than a few feet across they can and will get over it if something inside looks good.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#17

Here's my observation.

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

I've had this river house for 8 years. Every spring, the geese come up the rock embankment to chew my lawn. Not terrible at that point. But once they've had their young, it's a constant parade of goose families all over the place, with the accompanying goose poop everywhere.

A few years ago, I installed a goose fence consisting of 2-foot tall rebar strung with three strands of monofilament fish line. That worked for a year or so until they figured out how to climb over or through the monofilament lines. This year, my neighbor and I decided to do the snow fence thing. He already installed his and it's working pretty well. The adults may be able to hop over, but the young ones can't. So the adults abandon the idea of grazing there, at least for the time being.

I just paid good money to have the area top dressed and seeded to re-establish the lawn area. I have just under 400 feet of river frontage I'm trying to fence to keep them from yanking out the newly germinated seedlings, at least for a couple years until the lawn is established. They seem to have an appetite for those tender new grass shoots. This may be a futile effort, but I figured for the $60 the fencing cost, it's worth a shot. I already have the rebar fence posts still in place. I'll let you know how well this works out.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#18

Re: Thanks guys, sawzall worked great

William Duffield

The sailing club I belong to has found a method that works very well. It consists of rainbird sprinklers, each with a motion activated valve. The geese (or ducks) get close and the sprinkler turns on and gives them a squirt. We just turn them off when people want to use the beach to swim or launch sailboats. I can probably get a link, prices and installation details from the commodore if you are interested.

At USGS Headquarters in Reston, VA, they hire a company with border collies. They come by whenever geese start congregating on the lawn, and chase them off. The geese quickly learn to go elsewhere.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#19

Now...the posts

Tom Dunlap

There are a couple easy/cheap solutions.

The fiberglass fence stakes for electric fencing are cheap and cut with any blade you might have in your chop saw or recip saw.

The other stakes can be cut from the plastic rods used to mark the edges of driveways for snow plowing. They aren't as strong as the 'glass ones but cheaper. Get the thicker ones.

Weave the stakes in and out of the fence holes. Push or pound in the stakes. Then use zipties to hold the fence on the stakes.

These stakes are sooo much nicer to deal with than metal stakes.

Re: OT, how would you cut this plastic fence?

#20

Re: Thanks guys, sawzall worked great

Barry Irby

I have reported before that I know a guy who makes his living with border collies that chase geese off the Lawns, runways and golf courses. Every morning in geese season he dispatches trucks with trained dogs on board. He has ducks he uses to train the dogs. After a while the ducks start taking the signals faster than the dogs and he has to get some new and dumber ducks

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.