I have a small child's windsor chair that I want to send to a relative in China.I plan on getting a suitable cardboard box. Put some cushioning object around the chair. Then pack tight and take to the post office. I don't expect weight to be an issue. This chair weighs less than 5 lbs.It is also relatively small. The issue is international relations.Will I run into any difficulties sending this package? Anyone ship anything to China lately?
The price is not an issue. The little girl the chair is for is my nephew's first child. Getting a smile out of her would be priceless.I just want to be sure it will get there.
I was mainly checking to see whether routine USPS service was offered. My experience in shipping things overseas (El Salvador most recently) is that USPS can be an order of magnitude less expensive than a private shipper (like UPS), plus you avoid brokerage fees paid at the other end. For example, I shipped a fairly hefty box to El Salvador for $240 or so USPS; UPS wanted north of $1,000 for that box. Plus brokerage.
Understand you want direct experience with China—sorry, can’t help on that.
Packaging is key. It has a long way to travel. Would consider lining the inside of a box with some 1" foam sheets, and leaving at least 6" clearance from the chair to the box sides. Pack it tight so the box can be shaken and the chair not move around, and be set on any face. There are dozens of ways for it damaged along the way, and not may recourses for damage once it arrives.