WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Parts these days..

Posts

Parts these days..

#1

Parts these days..

David Weaver

..I guess this is a hard thing to nail down as it seems like for some things (namely my favorite used to be cheapie ryobi cordless tools), you can find something like an 18v string trimmer and there are four different versions that look the same, as well as other versions that are junkier or with more features.

But, I like to make chisels. I have just learned to forge weld the bolsters using a cutting torch for heat (oxy mapp, a little one) When I put the torch down, I need to get a chisel on the anvil quickly so I lay the cutting torch at the front of the forge and its heat goes into the forge doing nothing harmful and then I get the next one and do the same. The old adage George W told me about forge welding is you heat the item and "you get two licks" as a blacksmith at CW said. No time for dawdling, get those two in, set the weld and move on.

My regular heat source for a small forge is a paint can forge with liner and I use two propane torches to heat it. Today, I laid the cutting torch in and accidentally nudged the propane torch (one of them) in further and the result was the cutting torch cutting a hole right through the tip (just typical bernzomatic type).

Here's the rub. The tips come on and off of the torch with threads, no problem, probably so that you can change them. You'd expect that bernzomatic might have tips because they get damaged easily (e.g., assume you're a plumber and you drop one of these - it lands on the brass tip and the tip is bent and doesn't work right again.

Price online for another TS4000 bernzomatic torch - $33

Price for a tip - anything from 21+shipping (that gets close to 33) or $31 on amazon for one spec'd to work.

$3 in canada for a compatible tip :|

I don't quite follow how this is a $20-$30 part - the igniter isn't even in the tip, it's just a tiny stub of brass.

I do get the fact that the manufacturer doesn't have a great incentive to support a $33 product and is probably under constant pressure from department store corporate buyers to make things cheaper and cheaper, so they have to cut out background costs. It stinks, though. I bent the other one of the two. With the holes in the non-bent torch, it makes a flame that looks like a photo of a muzzle brake on a rifle - one out the front, two out of the sides.

No ability to get the correct part on a ryobi cordless pinner, either (one of the few things that ryobi doesn't make cheaply). Tried twice with parts diagrams and each time, the wrong part comes. I give up (P318 - a nifty little device - but one part breaks on it and it's $130 tool-only into the toilet). I could keep taking shots with the OEM parts supplier but will approach the cost of another one.

Re: Parts these days..

#2

Re: Parts these days.. *LINK*

Steve D, CT

I always had garden variety Bernzomatics hanging around and when I repiped my boiler with 1-1/4 copper I bought a Turbotorch. Much hotter.

IDK how your particular B'matic compares but my Turbotorch was not a high end model.

Just looked at the prices. More than I remembered paying but it's definitely a nice tool.


https://www.supplyhouse.com/Soldering-Torches-Parts-10155000

Re: Parts these days..

#3

Re: Parts these days..

David Weaver

do you know which one you have?

I have the TS4000, which turns out to be higher output than the other cheap ones that I have, and I do have larger more classic design torch for the small bottles that's higher output, but it's higher output at a lower temperature, so it's not that useful to me in a can forge. I like the TS4000s due to that high temp - it gives you control if you're in my shoes (which melted on the side today when a lost track of a black heat chisel and it sunk into one of my shoes and stuck there....sort of a variation of the guy walking around with toilet paper on his shoe, but I had an embedded narrow chisel).

:\

Re: Parts these days..

#4

Re: Parts these days..

Steve D, CT

Might be the STK-1 or STK-9. They are 1200 and 1800 btu respectively.

Propane to propane the temp should be the same. The difference is how much air and fuel it can combine for the btu count.

Re: Parts these days..

#5

Re: Parts these days..

John McGaw

Yeah. I was using my newer DeWalt cordless drill the other day when the clutch bit the dust giving essentially no torque no matter the setting. Checked locally and online and the cheapest price for the whole assembly, the only way to do the repair since no internal parts are available, came out to about $90. Hardly an incentive to repair since I can probably buy a replacement (less battery) for about the same. I'm tempted to tear it apart and look inside the clutch/gearbox to see if it truly is irreparable.

Re: Parts these days..

#6

Re: Parts these days..

David Weaver

The swirl type must do a better job of mixing the oxygen as it can get the steel to a brighter color and the interior color of the forge to a brighter orange.

Bernzomatic's Q/A page puts the TS4000 at 7000btu, and they make a second version that can be turned down so as not to run wide open like that.

That means a cylinder with 14 oz in it should get better than 2 hours of burn time, and I'm not sure they go that long. Maybe they do.

Two together is enough heat to over do it on a long paring chisel if not careful.

Interestingly enough, I have a large two burner forge (which is probably 5 to 10 times the output of the two torches together, but I can't get steel as hot right under the burners on it. No clue why - huge heat output, but no focus and would need to be blocked shut to get above a medium orange heat).

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.