WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: Trends that flopped - name one

Posts

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

#26

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

John Foster

Wind Chimes

Dream Catchers

Waiting for Christmas light projectors to die.

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

#27

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

John Foster

Cranberry glass

Blue Mountain pottery

Depression glass

Cornflower glass

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

#28

fake glasses and mood rings

David Weaver

I'm sure these still exist.

My sister, who doesn't yet wear glasses (I do), bought a pair of plain glass lens wire rimmed glasses when we were in school. Apparently, these were a thing (Think late 90s madonna look). I wasn't aware of trends like that, but she didn't appreciate my comments about how goofy it seemed.

I brought this up this past weekend as friends have a daughter about the same age and I asked if her glasses were real (same style as my sister's) and told her why and she said "no, these are real, but that's still a trend".

So maybe that's making a comeback...along with the "skater" look.

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

#29

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Avon "collectables": Several years ago wife and I were acquainted with a couple that put all their nest eggs in the Avon collectables.

He bragged he had $30 to $40K in these collectables and would retire on them! Four or five years later the items that he said were worth $40 - $50 each were in many yard sales for $.50 to $1.00 (still full of the original contents!) I bought a box full of those for $5 with men's cologne - gave most to a buddy that liked the cologne.

We had lost contact with the couple but I am sure he was very depressed. Wife told me a few weeks ago they are becoming collectable again - (I'm not in the market)!

Re: OT: Trends that flopped - name one

#30

forgot about that, too!

David Weaver

I think the face to face sales model was effective on people who are trusting. My grandmother had little money, but often bought avon stuff in excess and then gave it away.

Some of it is still floating around in my mother's closets unused - 35+years later.

collection of odd or very individualized things is less common in my generation (I don't know anyone else who collects anything at all, actually - only me and nothing that I have except for a very few items folks have given me is really safe from getting old and I have no intention of having most of it 10 years from now).

having a "room" dedicated to something unusual was common in the 1980s (at least rural), and it could've been something like plates, or mickey, or sports memorabilia, or in my dad's case, an enormous number of oil cans that he celebrates the perceived value of but I can't convince him to thin.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.