SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Ugly furniture

Posts

Ugly furniture

#1

Ugly furniture

Jerry Gibbs

I didn’t want to hijack Alan Young’s post re katalox. I made a flawed tv stand that my wife likes. I’ll spare you the details, but it occupies a prominent place near the entrance to our house. I made a second which my wife placed elsewhere. My only hope is that a knowledgeable furniture maker/designer will be kind and say nothing.

Re: Ugly furniture

#3

Pictures!!!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Before and aft so we get the chance to "complement" you. :D

Re: Ugly furniture

#4

Be careful with mockups

Jesse Cloud

Sometimes I will use up crappy scrap wood to make a mock-up of a new piece. Sure enough, if its really ugly the wife will see it and like it and insist that it goes in the house.

Without fail, a woodworker friend will visit and ask "Do you make that? [snicker, snicker]".

Re: Ugly furniture

#5

Clint Searl

Good design

Clint Searl

I can't define it, but I know it when I see it. And vice versa.

Re: Ugly furniture

#6

Change to cardboard...

Henry (Raleigh NC)

I do make mock-ups with scrappy/crappy 2x4s and cardboard - for scale and size. Nothing 'functional' ever. Most won't even hold up the cat. I am not working out joinery issues, just size, scale, and sometimes proportion.

I realize that 2x4 furniture is now a style - and gasp - I am building one for a client soon. Whatever the client wants. Not likely to post a pic here...

Henry

Re: Ugly furniture

#7

Re: Good design *LINK*

Tom Dunlap

Ii was in Stockholm and needed a book to read. This is what I found. Very interesting.

If someone wants the book let me know I'll ship it to you.


The Design of Everyday Things

Re: Ugly furniture

#8

Re: Ugly furniture

Pete in Holland MI

Read an interesting article in a wood magazine several years ago that woodworkers are often our worst enemies. We all see our flaws in our projects. We often hand off a project where we talk about the flaws in the joints, the not so great finish, or the not so great design to the recipient even before they get to evaluate it. We need to learn look at the response of our project to the recipient and gauge their delight or not. If they are delighted, then we need to learn to shut up, smile, and just say "thank you".

I was notorious for being one of these people.

Re: Ugly furniture

#9

Not Me

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

When presented with another's work, I try hard to find the best parts to complement and ignore the mistakes. The very rare exception is when the maker (or the proud owner) asks for a detailed critique or suggestions for improvement.

After all, I can't seem to remember being appointed "Defendant of The Craft." ;)

Re: Ugly furniture

#10

Clint Searl

Re: Ugly furniture

Clint Searl

If I can't say something nice I bite my tongue.

Re: Ugly furniture

#11

CAD=Cardboard Aided Design


Re: Ugly furniture

#12

Re: Ugly furniture

Barry Irby

Turners have been known to say "Wow, this is a spectacular piece of wood." And Omit saying "It's a shame you got your hands on it."

Re: Ugly furniture

#14

That's one of my favorite books!

Steve Elliott

A friend loaned me his copy of The Psychology of Everyday Things about 25 years ago and it has influenced my thinking on how to design for the user ever since.

One time I was at an airport and in the restroom was a long, curvy fixture that I figured was a "creative" hand basin or maybe a urinal. It turned out to be for washing hands but all the faucets were hidden and would only turn on when you placed your hands under them, so there were no visual cues to let a new user know what it was. Donald Norman's book came to mind. Weary travelers don't need another puzzle to solve.

Re: Ugly furniture

#15

Re: Most non-woodworkers

Hank Knight

Most non-woodworkers don't know enough about the craft to recognize a defect if it's staring them in the face - unless, of course, it's unsightly, like an obvious break or a gouge or a really botched finish. Similarly, they don't generally appreciate form and proportion unless, again, it's way out of whack. More often they are amazed that you made something that's beyond their capability and compliment you accordingly. I, on the other hand, only see my flaws and mistakes and would freely point them out. It took me a long time to learn to keep my mouth shut when I show someone something I built. Instead of going away thinking, "Gee, that's guy's a hack," they now leave thinking, "He's an amazing craftsman. I could never do that."

Re: Ugly furniture

#16

Re: That's one of my favorite books!

Steve D, CT

I guess if you saw someone in the airport with water all over his pants you would know he didn't guess "hand washing."

Re: Ugly furniture

#17

some good wisdom here

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Among the things that separate an experience woodworker from a novice, for example being about to recover from mistakes, is not being anxious to point out errors to visitors.

Re: Ugly furniture

#18

Re: Most non-woodworkers

Ralph Lipeles

Years ago my wife wanted a new dining china cabinet. We went shopping at an expensive furniture store. After the saleswoman finished showing us the set she thought we would like most she said: Well what do you think? I pointed out the several poorly made joints and several poorly finished areas and said: If I made a piece of furniture like this I would apologize to the customer and give him the piece at no cost.

Re: Ugly furniture

#19

Re: Most non-woodworkers

William Duffield

Did you take the cabinet home, at no cost?

Did she offer it to you at no cost, but did you in turn refuse to take it?

:D

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.