SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

Posts

What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#1

What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

J Barrett Irby Jr

If you were going to buy a bandsaw blade for re-sawing, what would you buy? The saw I am going to use it on can tension a blade up to 1' wide and 125" long. Will be sawing mostly air dried domestic hardwoods.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#2

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have made up for my saw the blade used for band mill band saws like Woodmiser. They are alternate bevel with a a raker and they are fast through dry hardwood. Cost about $15 at Misenheimer in Morristown , TN.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#3

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

Terry Quiram

I resaw up to 12 inches with a 3/8, 3tpi hook style blade.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#4

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

If you were going to buy a bandsaw blade for re-sawing, what would you buy? The saw I am going to use it on can tension a blade up to 1' wide and 125" long. Will be sawing mostly air dried domestic hardwoods.

The resaw blade on my bandsaw is a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT, which is a carbide blade. These are expensive ... however, they are capable of producing a superior performance.


A wide blade has the better potential of a smoother, more consistent cut. However, it is not about the width of the blade alone; the blade needs to be sharp. Bimetal blades are also great, even carbon steel, but there is a wide range in edge retention expected. I've had great results with bimetal 1/2" blades, but when they are freshly sharpened. This level of sharpness is retained by a carbide blade many times longer.

Not all bandsaw can use the carbide blades. It is not simply about tensioning them high enough. That is one factor, but these blades are also thicker (hence higher tension) and they do not bend well. A bandsaw wheel under 16" is likely to cause one to crack. My bandsaw is a Hammer N4400, which is 18" and the frame is built like a tank. Even so, I get only just enough tension. In a smaller bandsaw, one would be better off with a bimetal blade with a thinner cross section.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#5

Starrett SFB

Steve D, CT

I used one of these for the first time recently and it was much better than Olsen or Timberwolf. I think it's the 3/8" 3tpi model.

They also have a bimetal version that will last longer. I'm only using a Delta 14 with a riser block and this blade made it a new saw. It sounds like you have a lot more saw to work with.

I have heard good things about Lenox and Morse as well but no personal experience.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#6

what is important

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Starrett SFB I suspect most don't know what this name stands for.

What blade is best depends on what it will be used for. If sawing expensive wood into veneer a carbide blade makes economic sense. The veneers these blades produce can be used without further surface refining, which is to say, no waste of the expensive wood. However, a blade costing 1/20 the price could prove a better choice for resawing inexpensive wood, or sawing where mechanically damaging the blade is a risk.

Fewer teeth results in faster and possible more accurate sawing. When gullets fill with dust the blade effectively looses set and wanders. Fewer teeth result in a more coarse surface.

No one answer to the question of what is best.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#7

SFB clarification

Steve D, CT

SFB is the Starrett model name for the product, not a suggestion that anyone is/has SFB ;) Woodcraft carries them and Iturra carries the bi-metal version from Starrett or Lenox.

I included it as a data point for an inexpensive option that works well on a modest bandsaw. As you pointed out, sawing exotic materials on a heavy duty resaw would warrant a different approach.

A narrower blade will also be useful for cutting curves if the saw isn't a dedicated resaw.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#8

Re: Starrett SFB

Jesse Cloud

By the way, SFB stands for Steel with Flexible Back.

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

#9

Re: What resaw bandsaw blade to buy?

Walt

Not all bandsaw can use the carbide blades. It is not simply about tensioning them high enough. That is one factor, but these blades are also thicker (hence higher tension) and they do not bend well. A bandsaw wheel under 16" is likely to cause one to crack.

I see where Lenox makes their TriMaster in 1/2" X .025". The .025" thickness is what carbon steel and bimetal bandsaw blades typically run. Perhaps this blade will be easier to tension and more flexible so less prone to cracking. I'd like to try one but the only source I'm aware of is toolcenter.com and they ain't cheap, $152 plus $8.99 shipping for 105". I'm curious, I ain't THAT curious.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.