WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Posts

OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#1

JL

OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

JL

A plague on internal combustion engines :).

Can anyone recommend any good cordless (battery powered) weed eater?

I tried starting my old gas powered weed eater to no avail. Changed out the gas w/ brand new gas, tried to flush it out. Tried to crank numerous times - nothing.

I will take it apart and clean it - eventually. But right now I want a battery powered weed eater if one can be had that is reasonable.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#2

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Ron Pemberton

I have a Stihl leaf blower I use for the hall of the barn, flower beds and the driveway. I haven't run it long enough yet to see how long a battery charge lasts but have used it for 20 minutes and still have charge left. Fits my fancy. I also have a Stihl weed eater. I haven't used as much as the leave blower but the batteries interchange. So far I like it also.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#3

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

john in lutz

I had a gas powered trimmer (third) with the trimmer plus edger and trimmer plus pole saw attachments. When it died I bought the 80 volt Kobalt string trimmer. It accepts the attachment I already have. Plenty of power. Uses a brush-less motor. Edger appear to run faster (higher rpms) on the electric motor than it did on the gas and pole saw works well. Appears better balanced than with the gas head.

Nice to be able to edge and when you let go of the trigger it stops. Let you work around things and then to start again you just squeeze the trigger and it starts. No having to keep up with the running gas engine or pulling the cord to start. So go electric no matter which you choose.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#4

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Tom dunlap

I know many arborists who are moving away from gas powered chainsaws and other small tools. Same reasons you're experiencing

Name brand gear all have a good reputation.

I just bought a Dewalt cordless chainsaw with a 5ah??? Battery and charger for $150. I don't expect to do removals or big cuts. The plus side is I have dewalt cordless tools so the batteries interchange. I think the dewalt has a whole line of cordless yard/lawn tools. If they do and the chainsaw I have is indicitive tonthe design I'd say it's a decent value for homeowner standard. I wouldn't expect

This chainsaw to do full time pro work like I'd expect

From husky or Stihl...but I'm not paying that price either

Edit/addition

I bought the 20v saw

Here's whAt else they have

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#5

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Don Orr

I have the Kobalt 40v trimmer and like it a lot for small stuff around the house. Bigger stuff I still use my Stihl gas unit. I also have the Kobalt 40v 12" chain saw and hedge trimmer and am very pleased with them as well. The 80v was not out yet when I got them.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#6

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Kevin French

I have Ryobi tools and the decision was easy, why change batteries.

We have a LARGE WILD yard, with a lot of trimming. I can do it with <2 batteries.

Start with what you have for cordless bats if they make one.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#7

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Gerry in North Surrey

I've had success with 2 different Ryobis. No heavy brush removal, just lawn and flower bed trimming duties.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#8

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

Dave Bair

Greenworks 40v works fine for me. It"ll run for at least an hour on a charge. Sold by Menard's and Walmart among others. It's surprisingly powerful and works as well as my old 2-cycle but is much quieter and lighter.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#9

I hate batteries!

Tony - Memphis

But you guys sure have me thinking about "cutting the cord" when my current corded stuff dies! I have looked at the electric mowers. Fortunately, I guess, my Honda probably won't die for many more years. It is only 20 years old! Ha!

Tony

Oh, please recycle the old batteries!

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#10

JL

Re: OT - Bought the 56 V EGO from Home Depot

JL

It was well reviewed and has plenty of power.

Put it together this evening, will try it tomorrow.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#11

Re: OT - Bought the 56 V EGO from Home Depot

Joe shelton

That's a very appealing machine. I came very close to choosing it recently, and I'll look forward to hearing how you like it.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#12

JL

Re: OT - Bought the 56 V EGO from Home Depot

JL

Well, took it out for a spin this Saturday.

Thank goodness it was a lithium ion battery. I can't imagine how heavy it would be w/ a NiCad.

It assembles easily - the Allen screws for the shaft, string shroud and handle go in easily. Very sturdy shaft. Feels well made.

About as heavy as the Echo it is supplementing. More importantly, you don't have to worry about it burning you ;). It isn't as noisy. I still wear the helmet w/ ear muffs as it has a face shield - but I don't have to wear the muffs. Speed of the strings is reasonable. It manages to cut what it needs to cut. String feed is good.

All in all, it seems to be a good purchase.

Re: OT - cordless weed eater recommendations?

#13

The EGO 56V snow blower

Mike Farinella

gets excellent reviews also.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.