WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fixing a dovetail

Posts

Fixing a dovetail

#1

Fixing a dovetail

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

When dovetailing the drawer dividers I occasionally get one a bit tight. Too tight becomes a problem when assembling the case. In the case of this case, 40+ components will be assembled and glued at one time. There isn't time to deal with a sticking part that needs to be nudged into position with a clamp. Too tight is dealt with by planing a smidgen off the flat side of the tail.

Rarely, and annoyingly!, I get one too loose. This problem is also easily fixed. Over the years I have accumulated a stack of veneer-thin strips that came from ripping lumber to width. I select the thickness needed to tighten up the dovetail and glue it on the sloped part of the tail as shown in the picture below.


Re: Fixing a dovetail

#2

Re: Fixing a dovetail

roger lance

When you are making such a repair, do you bother to run the grain of the repair piece in the same direction as your major work piece or do you find that cross grain here really doesn't matter?

Re: Fixing a dovetail

#3

Re: Fixing a dovetail

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I can't see how the direction of grain on the filler piece would matter. Never thought about it actually.

Re: Fixing a dovetail

#4

Re: Fixing a dovetail

paul in AZ

Direction doesn't matter. The grain will always align with one board or the other.

I've used this method for years. Correcting mistakes to make them invisible is part of the craft.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.