WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

Posts

Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#1

Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

Barry Irby

I have grown my own ear plugs.

And I wear eye protection all the time. Not for safety so much, I can't see without them.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#2

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

Tom dunlap

George Carlin said that guys don't loose their hair😁😁😁it just slips out somewhere else

My eye brows can get a bit moustache-like. I used to think that was bad. Until a convergence of events

New safety glasses

Haircut and eyebrow trim

The next day at work I had to stop several times to clean dust/chips out of my eyes. When there are dramatic changes in a routine I wonder why

It took be a couple of days to realize that the radius of the safety glasses frame and lack of bushy eyebrow to filter debris let it slip in

I found different glasses and have let my eyebrow be a little longer

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#3

I had the same experience.....

Barry Irby

I got a hair cut and they asked, "Want your eyebrows trimmed? and I foolishly agreed. I have more trouble with debris in my eyes than ever.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#4

Re: I had the same experience.....

John K Jordan

New product idea, stick-on artificial eyebrows with Mesh Guard. Go ahead and trademark and patent it before someone else does it.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#5

Main advantage of 60...

Joe shelton

...or 70, for me, is not stopping at 59.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#6

Another birthday

John K Jordan

>>> Main advantage of 60...

...or 70, for me, is not stopping at 59.

I remember an acquaintance grumpy and whining about turning 40. I couldn't believe it. I remember the day I looked in the bathroom mirror, remembered it was my 40th birthday, and said out loud "YES, I made it to 40!!"

:)

That was almost 30 years ago. Seems like every year now another person I knew is gone.

JKJ

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#7

Kneale Brownson

In my case, just bigger around

Kneale Brownson

:b

When I turned 50, nearly 30 years ago, I felt like I hit a wall and was only going to deteriorate physically. Thirty years later, I'm slower, tire more easily but when it comes to my greatest passion, skiing, I am skiing better than ever!!

However, big wake-up call Wednesday when the dermatology office called and scheduled me for extended surgery on one of the biopsy spots from last week.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#8

Re: In my case, just bigger around

Barry Irby

Keep us posted. I will say a prayer for you and a speedy recovery. I go to the Dermatologist twice a year and so far they ave only had to freeze things off my hide. I have been through prostate surgery and subsequent radiation. Can't recommend it other than it's much better than the alternative. I try to stay on top of it, my Dad died of two different types of cancer. I have already lived longer than he did.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#9

60?  Big Deal!

Jerry Nicholson

I passed that almost 22 years ago. I still have most of my teeth. My eyes are fine, at least when I can find my glasses. I can hear just about everything except my wife - so now I have hearing aids. I figure that I am not old, I am chronologically enhanced.

Jerry

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#10

And all the discounts!

Jesse Cloud

I'm amazed at how many places over senior discounts, often not advertised. It never hurts to ask.

And those youngsters who now call you "Sir" and hold the door open for you.

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#11

Re: And all the discounts!

Yonak

..For example :

(I've had this list for some time so I can't vouch for how accurate it is today)

Since many senior discounts are not advertised to the public, our advice to men and women over 55 is to ALWAYS ask a sales associate if that store provides a senior discount.

Restaurants :

Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)

Arby’s: 10% off (55+)

Ben & Jerry’s: 10% off (60+)

Bennigan’s: discount varies by location

Bob’s Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)

Boston Market: 10% off (65+)

Burger King: 10% off (60+)

Captain D’s: discount varies on location (62+)

Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)

Chili’s: 10% off (55+)

CiCi’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)

Culver’s: 10% off (60+)

Denny’s: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55+)

Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free coffee (55+)

Einstein’s Bagels: 10% off baker’s dozen of bagels (60+)

Fuddrucker’s: 10% off any senior platter (55+)

Gatti’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)

Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)

Hardee’s: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)

IHOP: 10% off (55+)

Jack in the Box: up to 20% off (55+)

KFC: free small drink with any meal (55+)

Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50+)

Long John Silver’s: various discounts at participating locations (55+)

McDonald’s: discounts on coffee everyday (55+)

Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)

Shoney’s: 10% off

Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)

Steak‘n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday (50+)

Subway: 10% off (60+)

Sweet Tomatoes 10% off (62+)

Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)

TCBY: 10% off (55+)

Tea Room Cafe: 10% off (50+)

Village Inn: 10% off (60+)

Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)

Wendy’s: 10% off (55+)

White Castle: 10% off (62+)

Retail and Apparel :

Banana Republic: 10% off (50+)

Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month (50+)

Belk’s: 15% off first Tuesday of every month (55+)

Big Lots: 10% off

Bon-Ton Dept Stores: 15% off on senior discount days (55+)

C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)

Clarks: 10% off (62+)

Dress Barn: 10% off (55+)

Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Kmart: 20% off (50+)

Kohl’s: 15% off (60+)

Modell’s Sporting 10% off

Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions

Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday (55+)

Salvation Army Thrift up to 50% off (55+)

Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month (55+) Grocery

Albertson’s: 10% off first Wednesday of each month (55+)

American Discount 10% off every Monday (50+)

Compare Foods Mkt 10% off every Wednesday (60+)

DeCicco Family Mkt 5% off every Wednesday (60+)

Food Lion: 6% off every Monday (60+)

Fry’s Supermarket: free Fry’s VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55+)

Great Valu Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

Gristedes Mkt 10% off every Tuesday (60+)

Harris-Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)

Morton Williams Mkt 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday (50+)

Publix: 5% off every Wednesday (55+)

Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)

Uncle Guiseppe’s Mkt 5% off (62+)

Travel :

Alaska Airlines: 10% off (65+)

Alamo: up to 25% off for AARP members

American Airlines: various discounts for 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Amtrak: 15% off (62+)

Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members

Best Western: 10% off (55+)

Budget Rental Cars: 10% off; up to 20% off for AARP members (50+)

Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)

Clarion: 20%-30% off (60+)

Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)

Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations

Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off (50+)

Econo Lodge: 20%-30% off (60+)

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members

Greyhound: 5% off (62+)

Hampton Inns & Suites: 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance

Hertz: up to 25% off for AARP members

Holiday Inn: 10%-30% off depending on location (62+)

Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)

InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)

Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler’s Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)

Marriott Hotels: 15% off (62+)

Motel 6: 10% off (60+)

Myrtle Beach Resort: 10% off (55+)

National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members

Quality Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Sleep Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Trailways Transportation : various discounts for ages 50 and up

United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Activities & Entertainment :

AMC Theaters: up to 30% off (55+)

Bally Total Fitness: up to $100 off memberships (62+)

Busch Gardens Tampa: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)

Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)

Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off

U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)

Regal Cinemas: 30% off

SeaWorld Orlando: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)

Cell Phone Discounts :

AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $29.99/month (65+)

Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service (50+)

Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+) *Check out our Secret Cell Phone Discounts to view all cell phone discounts available to you!

Miscellaneous :

Great Clips: $3 off haircuts (60+)

Super Cuts: $2 off haircuts (60+)

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#12

Kneale Brownson

Other help

Kneale Brownson

We returned to a snowed-in house Thursday, two-foot-high pile of road plowing in the driveway entrance, so we waded into the house, got out a couple shovels and started clearing the drive. Along came a young man, maybe 25 or so, who stopped his car, got out and took the wife's shovel from her hands to help me. Guess having white hair (where there is any) helps!!

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#13

Re: One thing to look forward to

Hank Knight

I have figured out that there are very few things to look forward to about aging. One of them, however, is cataract surgery. WOW! What a great thing. My eyesight has been deteriorating slowly over the last 50 or 60 years. Then, BANG!, overnight I can see better than I could when I was 20. I'm a happy camper!

Re: Advantage of being over 60 in the shop.

#14

Re: One thing to look forward to

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Yes, it is a game changer. I never knew the sky was so blue and the snow so damned bright!

One hint I have that I learned from a friend is that wraparound sunglasses help immensely. Plus, you can get safety rated polycarbonate wraparound sunglasses at building centers for less than $10.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.