WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Mitre Fence for Slider

Posts

Mitre Fence for Slider

#1

Mitre Fence for Slider

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I do not saw many mitres, however my wife has been suggesting I make several frames, and I must admit that my readiness to make a mitre fence for my Hammer K3 tablesaw was really about the challenge more than the eventual projects.

I had seen this mitre fence sold by Felder, and went oooh ...


Of cause the asking price is just silly. And then I watched this video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG9LRnB9-Hg

... which looks like an MDF version, and said to myself, "I can make that". And so I did (well better ... of course :) ).



The fences are extruded aluminium to which are fitted flip stops. These are essential for sawing exact and equal lengths. The parts were available from a local woodworking store, Timbecon.


The measurements are accurate ...


The angle adjuster doubles as a fitting, connected to the side of the slider ...


The accuracy of the square end is all important. This was achieved with a bit of jiggling made possible as the end clamps had a small amount of adjustability built in ...


Once done, the fence was set at 45 degrees to the blade ..


The first test cut was promising ...


This was just one side. The real test would be that the four corners fit as accurately and tightly ...

This is just a scrap, which was not an even thickness, but all corners were perfect!


Happiness is a successful jig :)


I have details of the build if anyone is interested.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#2

Is the unit swing-adjustable

Chuck Nickerson

to handle situations where the vertical pieces are a different width than the horizontal pieces?

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#3

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I have the INCRA sliding table / miter gage, length gage combo which I like a great deal. I use my CMS for most projects, but if I have a number of cuts to make very accurately I use the Incra.

The price was a little high, but I was at a WW show and it looked soooo nice!

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#4

Congrats on your build

Gary Smyth

Seems to me you solved your dilemma. Nice work.

Your effort reminded me of a sled I was given. It was called a Dubby and was made for segmented turners.

I got mine at the end of a woodworking show teardown. I was told that a different saw was to be used at the next show and this one was not set up for the new saw and this one was headed for the trash bin as it had no further use. Of course I offered to save it from the land fill.

It isn't set up for my saw eiither but can be made to work, ( or reverse engineered) if I ever get around to it. For now a chop saw works for my applications, but I ought to spend some time on the Dubby as new ones are over $350 US dollars these days. They come in left and right angles.

I'd like to see your plans when you get a chance. Different, but maybe better.


Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#5

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

roger lance

Derek.....another great piece of kit......and you made it!

I have this basic jig for the table saw and have been wanting to add arms for repeatable lengths......


you've given me some ideas with this.....thanks.

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#6

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I see a chop saw in the background. Why are you cutting miters on a table saw?

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#7

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

roger lance

Well, let's see......

I can cut wider miters on the table saw than the chop saw which has a 10" blade.

This simple table saw jig gives perfect 90* corners......even if its made in such a way that one side is a little over/under 45*......the other side of the jig will produce the complementary angle under/over 45*.

My chop saw is an early model by Delta.....built like a tank (65 pounds).....and intended for use in construction. There is not much adjustability in these early saws.....like making sure the blade is at 90* to the table (vertical)......also there is no stock hold-down so there is always the possibility of stock creep during the cut.....the chop saw is useful.....but, I believe I'm getting more precision on the table saw for certain things.

Re: Mitre Fence for Slider

#8

What I've used for years

David Yoho

I have both the left and right hand versions of the Dubby crosscut sled. I started with the left of the blade version and used it so much that I later bought the other one at a show. My first one is so old the arm is wooden unlike the aluminum ones on the later versions. It's very accurate, can be set up for repeat cuts, and I like the ability to micro-adjust (sneak up on) the cut length when necessary.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.