WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New look

Posts

New look

#1

Ellis Walentine

New look

Ellis Walentine

Hi folks,

As Chrome users (primarily running Windows 10) can hopefully see, I was able to remove the source of our "black screen" problem. For some reason, the latest version of Chrome isn't parsing legacy stylesheet scripts the way every other browser (except possibly Safari -- I haven't checked that one) does. I know that is utter Greek to anyone not versed in website coding languages, and I apologize. The upshot is that we have now, at least temporarily, done away with the rose-colored background gradient that was on many of our pages. I still have more static pages (Shop Shots, etc) to clean up, but until a major redesign down the road, this will be our new look. I hope you are okay with it.

Two more things:

1. You may need to clear your browser cache to see the white background. The simple way in Windows is to hold the CTRL key while clicking the reload icon in your browser's address bar (or next to it).

2. I have not tested this on the Chromebook platform or the Safari browser, so if you are accessing the site by either of those methods, post a reply here to let me know the results on your computer. Or, if you continue to have background issues on forum pages, let me know your operating system, browser and version, and any description you can provide.

Ain't computers grand? :) Thanks for all your patience and support.

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: New look

#2

Re: New look

roger lance

I'm on Safari.....the background is still rosy.....and as Paul McCartney would ask, "What's wrong with that?.....I'd like to know....." :)

Re: New look

#3

Re: New look

John K Jordan

I tested on Chrome with and without the hardware acceleration enabled - working ok.

BTW, the rose-colored gradient background was still visible in Chrome (along with readable text) until I did the Ctrl-reload trick you mentioned, then it went too all white.

I liked the gradient but better white everywhere than black some wheres. :)

JKJ

Re: New look

#4

Re: New look

Christopher Fitch Memphis

I like it...the board seems to render a bit quicker.

The white is a bit more readable for me.

I've had no issues with the site but I run Firefox on Linux so I'm an outlier.

Re: New look

#5

Re: New look

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

No roses here on this PC.

Win 7 Pro on Chrome Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Re: New look

#6

Ellis Walentine

And further...

Ellis Walentine

We've pretty well determined that disabling hardware acceleration on your Chrome browser in Windows 10 will fix the black screen issue. This may be to your advantage if you browse some of our other pages, e.g., Shop Shots, Ornaments, Store, etc.

1. Click the three dots at the top right of your Chrome browser screen

2. Click Settings

3. Scroll all the way down and click Advanced

4. Scroll down to System

5. Turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available"

6. Click RELOAD to restart Chrome

Re: New look

#7

Re: And further...

John McGaw

Computer hardware and software combinations are so unpredictable it is amazing that it ever works -- the number of permutations must approach infinity. As it turns out hardware acceleration of browsers is especially problematic -- it breaks FireFox as often as not and the first suggestion they give when somebody has a glitch is to turn it off and forget that it exists.

Re: New look

#8

Re: And further...

John K Jordan

>>>We've pretty well determined that disabling hardware acceleration on your Chrome browser in Windows 10 will fix the black screen issue.

Just to be clear, Chrome now works here with the hardware acceleration enabled. Win10.

I tried everything I could think of and couldn't get the black screen back. :)

JKJ

Re: New look

#9

Re: New look

Dave Bair

I'm using Safari version 9.1.3 with no problems now or before.

Re: New look

#10

Re: And further...

John McGaw

Probably, or almost certainly, it was the removal of the gradient background which

'fixed' the hardware acceleration problem. To my mind the old background might have been just a bit too dark but the stark white now is almost enough to hurt the eyes. Ellis, would you consider inserting a non-gradient background, say a solid color selected from near the bottom of the old gradient, to see if it breaks anything? Just an idea...

Re: New look

#11

Ellis Walentine

Tried that, John

Ellis Walentine

It wasn't bad, but everytime I change background colors, I have to rework all our logo images so the edges around their transparent backgrounds blend with the new background colors. For example, here's what our old logo looks like on a white background...



Re: New look

#12

Re: Tried that, John

John McGaw

Oh well. It is never so easy as it appears.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.