WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

Posts

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#26

one use

John K Jordan

I use a plunge router to cut handholds in the center of all four sides of a beehive box.

I used this on the box at the top, guiding the router in a template. With care I could start the cut with a standard base but with a bunch of these the plunge router is easier.

The other boxes I bought, the one on the deeper box was probably done with a shaper and the one it the middle was done with a gang of circular saw blades in a table saw.


This is the kind of "furniture" I like to build in my shop.

JKJ

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#27

Give it a try

Hoa Dinh in Alameda

Hello Bill,

If you have a chance, try a D-handle router for edge routing, especially with a "tear drop" base.

You'll never use something else.

Regards,


img

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#28

Show off  :-)

Ray Carson - Lawrenceville, NJ

:D

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#29

if i wanted to show off....

Mark Hennebury

I might have shown the big ones;

Wadkin LQ router


Onsrud Pin router


Onsrud router tucked away right next to my handheld routers.


Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#30

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

Barry W. Larson

Hi Mark:

What sort of bit are you using to cut the 1/4" plate? I have a project in mind where I would like to mill slots in 1/8" or 3/16" plate and was about to go looking for somebody with a milling machine, but if one of my old beater routers would be up to the task I might consider trying it out.

Thanks,

Barry W. Larson

Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#31

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

Mark Hennebury

Hi Barry, I would guess that i may have used a solid carbide, probably a 3/8 Spiral.

Cast iron is easy to cut and just makes dust, but steel cut with a spiral cutter makes some serious nasty needle like shaving that get everywhere and all stuck in you clothes. I just rough out the hole with a zip disk and trim into the corners with the sawzall then trim with the router set on the slowest speed.


Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#32

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

Barry W. Larson

Thanks Mark. Sounds like Hackzall first and then a file. The slots are for a motor plate adjustment so they don't have to be that precise - just precise enough so I can adjust the belt tension easily. I'll keep the spiral bit in mind for the next time I need to modify a cast component.

Thanks,

Barry W. Larson

Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#33

Re: I have half of the jig....

William Duffield

I suppose a D-handle base would be very useful for a fixed base router, but I can't imagine how to use it with a plunge base. Now, I've never had one with a D-handle, so I'm only guessing. It's primary function is keeping the router from tipping when profiling an edge, especially when going around an outside corner. For that, I use a simple homemade plate similar to this one:


Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#34

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

William Duffield

I used to use one of those M•E•G Industries shelf pin jigs, and liked the way it worked. I guess they are out of business, as I can't find them anywhere on the web.

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#35

Re: Um???

William Duffield

Isn't a router table effectively a fixed base router?

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#36

Re: Some More Uses

William Duffield

These might be classified as "specialty uses"

With a template/jig and a bushing, they are almost essential for installing Soss concealed invisible hinges. Examples here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=soss+hinge

They are also useful for making screw slots using keyhole bits for hanging pictures and shelves. Explanation of alternative process using a router table (big fixed base router) explained here:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/routing/keyholes-bits

Instead of the keyhole bit, you could also make good use of a plunge router to install one of these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-single-hole-keyhole-hanger

Again, it could be done almost as easily on a router table.

Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of.....

#37

Re: Some More Uses

John K Jordan

>>>They are also useful for making screw slots using keyhole bits for hanging pictures and shelves.

I forgot about that. I use a keyhole bit quite a "bit" with the plunge router, mostly for hanging things like wooden signs.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.