WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Posts

I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#1

I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Woodcentral just started loading with a black background and a lot of the text invisible (black text on black background is not visible) This just started today, and only on my Windows 10 Pro laptop. My Windows 7 Pro desktop still shows a white background as usual. I recalled a thread about this recently and disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome on the laptop. Fixed. - now back to normal.

So now the question - why did this just start happening and why is it not affecting Chrome in Windows 7? I still have hardware acceleration enabled on my desktop Windows 7 machine and all is just like it's always been. Ellis, has something changed on the Woodcentral site that may be causing this? Anybody else have similar issures?

Scratching my head here - west of Chicago.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#2

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Joe Grittani

I'm using Mac OS High Sierra and getting the same black screen. This wasn't the case earlier and I've not seen it before. I got here by using Safari. Is it a Wood Central issue or a Chrome problem

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#3

Ellis Walentine

Looking into it

Ellis Walentine

We have not changed anything under the hood here, but I heard from one other person today regarding this exact issue, so we're taking it seriously. Apparently, the effect only occurs in Chrome (and now Safari, apparently), so you can still access the boards using Firefox and Internet Explorer. That's the best I can do for now. I suspect a minor coding issue, but I have yet to duplicate the symptoms here, so it's hard to isolate a culprit.

Thanks for checking in. We'll try to figure this out methodically. I'll update you if we find any systemic cause for this behavior. Meanwhile, all I can say is try disabling hardware acceleration or try another browser.

Always something,

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#4

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

John Pappas

I'm using a Chromebook with the Chrome browser and have no problems.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#5

Re: Looking into it

JohnV

I use High Sierra 10.13.3 on my Mac mini. Access WC via Safari. No problems here.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#7

Ellis Walentine

Re: css background image appears to be black

Ellis Walentine

Nope, but it's an old convention... 4 px wide, customarily spread across the viewport by the browser, but maybe a new convention has changed that. I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if that matters. I'll need beta testers though, who are seeing a black background, to tell me if my fixes work.

I still don't understand why pages render correctly in my Chrome (and presumably almost everyone else's) but not in some. I suspect there is more to the story.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ellis

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#8

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

No problem here with Windows 10 and FIrefox.

Lee

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#9

Re: css background image appears to be black

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I tried my Chrome and also have a black screen. Works fine in the latest Firefox

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#10

I can test

John K Jordan

>>> I'll need beta testers though, who are seeing a black background, to tell me if my fixes work.

Ellis,

As an experiment I downloaded Chrome just now (Version 64.0.3282.140 64-bit) and I also see the black screen. The screen captures below show what I see for a message index and for a message itself. (Hard to read. Ha!)

Windows 10, Dell Precision 7510 laptop with two internal graphics "cards" (I'd have to look up the details.)

Works OK on FireFox (58.0.1 64-bit)

JKJ



JKJ

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#11

My Chrome test results

MartinMJ

I rarely use Chrome, but when I started Chrome and went to Woodcentral Chrome was at 63.0.3239.132 and the background was white.

Opening the Chrome "About Chrome' it immediately started updating. I counted two cycles of updates and the version became 64.0.3282.140. Completing the Chrome reboot, the Woodcentral background was black.

My WIN 10 Pro is somewhat corrupted when the motherboard was replaced. I am using the default Intel onboard graphics card at this time.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#12

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Tony - Memphis

I had the same issue and posted it a week or two ago? I found that turning off the hardware acceleration fixed it.

Settings - Advanced - Use hardware acceleration when available - turn off

I don't have any idea what that is, but I found another reference to the issue on...Google and tried it.

Tony

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#13

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Bob Ballard

I had the same problem with Chrome.Disabled the hardware acceleration and that fixed the problem.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#14

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

Joe Grittani

I didn't change anything here and now it's working fine. Thanks!

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#15

No problem here....

Jerry Nicholson

No problem noted on my primary computer with Chrome 64.0.3282.140 and Linux Mint Mate 17.3 or on my secondary computer with the same Chrome and Linux Mint Mate 18.3.

Jerry

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#16

Ellis Walentine

Anomalies everywhere

Ellis Walentine

I'm running the latest Chrome, on Win 7 Pro, with the hardware acceleration turned on, and the site renders perfectly. I'm wondering if you folks that are seeing black are using Windows 10, and whether that may have something to do with this? One person mentioned Safari. Are any of you Safari users seeing black?

I like problems that have clear-cut solutions, or at least explanations. :(

The good news is that other browsers render our pages correctly and that only a tiny fraction of our visitors are reporting this behavior. We'll get this figured out one way or the other.

Thanks for your patience.

Ellis

By the way, you can read through the black by clicking and dragging your mouse over it. Not that this is a suggested workaround; just an observation.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#17

Win 7 here

Tony - Memphis

That's all that supported at the slow moving sloth like corporation that I work for!

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#18

Re: Anomalies everywhere

mark nowicki

Looks fine on Safari.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#19

Re: No problem here.... (under Linux)

John McGaw

Makes me wonder if it isn't something specific to the Windows version if you are not seeing it under Linux. Anybody else here using Chrome under Linux that can confirm?

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#20

Re: Anomalies everywhere

Bob Ballard

Yes Ellis,I am running Windows 10 home edition.

Bob

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#21

Yup

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Only a problem on Windows 10 Pro for me (with Chrome). My desktop with Windows 7 Pro has no issues. Puzzling. I love puzzling, don't you? Makes ya think.

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#22

Re: Yup

Walter Ahlgrim

I have the black background running Win 7 and Chrome whenever the hardware accelerator is turned on. No user initiated updated or changed setting since it worked on my last visit 10 day ago.

Walta

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#23

Ellis Walentine

Chrome update?

Ellis Walentine

Might Chrome have automatically updated itself?

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#24

Re: Anomalies everywhere

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Ellis, I am running Win 10 Pro 64 bit (up to date), with the latest Version Chrome (64.0.3282.140 64 bit). It did have the black screen. I tried turning the Hardware accelerator off and the screen returned to normal. Your site works normally in Firefox and Windows Edge. I didn't even realize there was a problem with Chrome as I only use it on specific sites when I have an issue with Firefox. Hope this gives you some clues!

Re: I also got the black backgound here in Chrome

#25

Re: No problem here.... (under Linux)

Bruce Schoenleber

Linux (mint 17.1), no problems.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.