WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sanding Question

Posts

Re: Sanding Question

#26

Re: Sanding Question

John McGaw

Lacking a lathe, a bit of plywood, a 1/2hp motor, two pulleys, two pillow blocks, a bit of bolt-and-washer-and nut magic, and a v-belt would do in a pinch.

Re: Sanding Question

#30

Re: Sanding Question

John McGaw

... and I neglected to mention that a drill press or, in a pinch, a decent corded electric drill clamped firmly will do the job of spinning a sanding brush just fine.

Re: Sanding Question

#31

That is Creative....

Barry Irby

I agree with Bill.

They are creative and beautiful, but my Engineering brain thinks they look leasy to knock over. Can you figure a way to add a wider base?

Wouldn't be the same at all, but you could turn them inside out and flare the base a bit.

Re: Sanding Question

#32

Re: That is Creative....

Kevin French

Thanks Barry

I have thought about a wider base and reversing the staves but it loses the grace that these lights have.

I'm also working on setting the whole lamp on a tradition weighted lamp base at that point I can make the lower disk the same size as the top one.

Re: Sanding Question

#33

Re: Sanding Question

James Heaston

I've never heard of wet sanding between grits. I wouldn't go below 150/180 on white oak which they are more than likely made of then wet sand with your final grit. Wet sanding is the last sanding you do before staining and finishing. The coarseness of WO isn't going to improve with finer grit paper. As for the feel; I don't know anyone that pets and caresses their lamp. But there exceptions to the rules.

As for the 60 grit the reason it's so hard to remove is because it's deeper. So you have to remove much more wood to get the scratches out. Personally I'd work w/ the 80 grit to clean the staves.

Another thought is files. You can work them w/ the grain and w/the contours.

Re: Sanding Question

#34

Re: Sanding Question

Kevin French

There's a lot of 'petting' going on at the shows I've done.

These Whiskey Barrel Staves are tame compared to a lot that we work with. Some are black and heavily 'distressed'. Those don't make it home to my workshop.

At work we have a 6' Stroke sander and the 80 grit works very well on those.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.