WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

If I ever make a real work bench

Posts

If I ever make a real work bench

#1

Alan Young

If I ever make a real work bench

Alan Young

I would seriously consider making some sort of open frame unit. This Trestle table I am working is great for holding all sorts of pieces. Holes could be drilled for bench dogs.


The various horizontal beams are helful for holding clamps and a tool box could be mounted for chisels, planes and other hand tools that you wouldn't want falling on the floor....


Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#2

Ellis Walentine

Cool idea

Ellis Walentine

I'd like to hear more details as they dawn on you as to how the open framework can be an advantage. Maybe there's a call for a prototype of some sort.

Ellis

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#3

Now that's my kind of shop

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Or at least that is what mine looks like most of the time. We get many pictures taken "in the shop". I like to study what is in the background for shop ideas. Most pictures look as though the cleaning lady(or guy) had just left-counters dusted, carpet vacuumed, windows cleaned, tools and accessories all in their place. Alan's shop looks like the shops of the customers we used to deliver to. Is that a table saw back there? Usually it is easier to spot a table saw in a shop. :)

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#4

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

William Duffield

From here, it looks like a Rockwell Unisaw on a mobile base.

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#5

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

John K Jordan

Go ahead and send the cleaning person. I'll go down and wait by the door.

There's a cabinet saw there somewhere.


I carved this for visitors:


JKJ

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#6

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

roger lance

Just think of the numbers of people you've inspired to buy (and use) a shop vac. :D

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#7

Alan Young

My excellent photo editing skills

Alan Young

keeps you the viewer from seeing how messy my shop is!

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#8

Alan Young

1973 Unisaw!


Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#9

Alan Young

I think you win!


Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#10

Alan Young

My investment portfolio is stacked on Shop Vac!


Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#11

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

Kevin French

I resemble that remark.

I have an open work space of 11' x 11' in my shop. I have to a. put things away when done and b. keep it clean or I can't move.

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#12

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I have one stall of a three stall garage, and right now that space has to be shared with a Honda goldwing and a snowblower.all my stuff is stacked next to each other and I have a walking space of about two feet by eight feet, between benches. If I want do something, something else has to move.

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#13

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

David Yoho

I've poked fun at Alan privately about his work space before. However, I think it's a testament to his love of working wood given the space he has and probably most would agree the finished work he produces is top notch.

I'll go a step farther and say if you put him in a large open space with a 10-foot ceiling, all the best lighting, mobile clamp racks, central dust collection, and assembly benches all around the poor boy wouldn't get anything done. No sir, he would be lost. ;)

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#14

Alan Young

You're kind David-

Alan Young

But you're slightly off-With that space I'd find a way to fill it-ALL of it. :)

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#15

Re: Now that's my kind of shop

TomD

That is something we have in common!

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#16

Re: Cool idea

TomD

One of the more popular articles, from what I could gather, that appeared in FWW some time ago was for a New Fangled Workbench sorta built along those lines.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/10/02/new-fangled-workbench-revisited-plans-now-available

And to an extent most benches are no more than a set of saw horses with a beam on them. How closed or open varies with the design. Of my two fancy benches, the one had a tool tray I didn't put a bottom in for years, and the other has a two piece top with a 1" slot running between them.

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#17

A Page From The Metal Fabrocators' Manual

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Open lattice "benches" are an integral part of their shops as they give maximum flexibility for clamping and other fixation tools.

Re: If I ever make a real work bench

#18

Alan Young

Ha! There is nothing new Under the Sun!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.