WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How to size boards for an octogon?

Posts

How to size boards for an octogon?

#1

How to size boards for an octogon?

AZ in Colorado Springs

I'm building a table which will have hollow, octagonal legs. (I'm making a copy of a table at the church. We have three and require another.). They're straight legs -- no taper.

The octagonal legs are four inches across. There must be a formula for determining how wide each of the eight boards must be on its outside face.

Can anyone supply the formula? I'm trying to figure this out by drawing it full-scale on graph paper but it's not going well

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#3

Perfect!

AZ in Colorado Springs

Thanks, Dick

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#4

Accuracy?

Virgil Johnson

I did not try it but the site mentioned the calculator was only accurate to 1/16" unless I read incorrectly.

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#5

Re: Accuracy?

AZ in Colorado Springs

I saw that cautionary note. That's plenty close enough for this project.

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#6

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

Keith Newton

If you already have two other tables, why not just measure those?

I think I would find it LOT EASIER to make the legs solid than gluing up 8 staves to make them hollow.

You don't mention how much taper, but that could be taken care of after glue-up on the jointer. After coming out of the clamps, I'd square up the blank, then cut off the corners at 45º on the TS. Then I'd set a stop block on the infeed table to set the bottom / small end against, so the top starts out just on the edge of the outfeed bed of the jointer. If you set the depth at 1/8", then you would get 1/4" of taper once you've run down all sides.

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#7

Re: Accuracy?

William Duffield

All you really need is some basic principals of geometry and one number, the square root of 2, which is approximately 1.4142135623730950488…

For woodworking, 4 significant figures (1.414) is more than sufficient, especially for surface shaping and decoration. I usually just use the ratios 5:7:5 (the C:B:C dimensions in Dick's link) when I lay out a spar gauge for shaping octagonal furniture legs or spars.

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

#8

Re: How to size boards for an octogon?

AZ in Colorado Springs

So, when I was at church this past weekend, I measured a stave. The calculator provided in the link was spot on.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.