WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Posts

Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#1

Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Roger Furry

I have an older Craftsman 10" Table Saw and have a problem with the unique grooves on the top that don't seem to fit some of the newer feather board devices and jigs. I s there any way around this short of buying a new table saw ? The saw work fine.

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

Make your own


Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#3

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Joe shelton

For tenoning jigs, you easily can make a wooden runner. For mitering devices, look for integral adjustment capability. I don't think the feather boards need to be affixed into them, there are good magnetic options there.

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#4

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Ralph Lipeles

I also use hardwood strips. If fit for accuracy is important, you can use small brass round head screws. Tweek as necessary until they barely touch the side of the table slot. For fixtures using both sloth I put the strips in the grooves, put some glue on them and then drop the top piece onto the glue covered strips. When the glue has set I reinforce the glue joint with some small screws.

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#5

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

I haven't checked lately (Sold my Craftsman saws), but several online vendors used to sell miter bars specifically to fit the (oddball) Sears saws.

You might also check out some of the adjustable bars like the Incra, etc., to see if they'd fit.

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#6

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Walt

The problem is likely that the miter slot is .750" Most miter bars are .750". A .750" bar won't slide freely in a .750" slot. Commonly miter slots are slightly over .750". Craftsman (and some Ridgid saws I believe) use undersized miter bars. At one time woodworking shows had vendors with undersized UHMW strips to use as miter bars. I don't know if they can still be found or not.

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#7

I wrote an article on the subject...

Rod Peterson--Ormond Beach, FL

...several years ago. I did a fair amount of research when I had access to a lot of machine tools. It was interesting drawing conclusions from that research. Perhaps some may find this useful. The short version is Walt's right, but you can get some more details in my article. Oh, and regarding the Ridgid tools? Emerson Electric, the manufacturer who used to produce Sears' saws also builds (built?) Ridgid saws. Same miter slot. Surprise?

http://woodbutcher.net/miterslot.shtml

Rod

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

#8

Re: Craftsman Table Saw - Guides

Jerry Nicholson

I bought a Delta miter gauge several years ago and it fit perfectly on my 1964 Craftsman table saw. A few minutes of sanding on the bar on the Delta tenoning jig made it fit the Craftsman too. Actually, I think most of the sanding just removed the paint.

Jerry

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.