WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Covering up the dovetails

Posts

Covering up the dovetails

#1

Covering up the dovetails

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

There was a time, a long time ago, that revealing how something was put together was not a fashion statement. Bending to current fashion I took more than normal care and planned on drawer divider "show dovetails" for the son-in-law chest of drawers. Nothing else I have built for the family had exposed drawer divider dovetails. Their appearance on this piece was met with disapproval. I was asked to cover them up.



Covering is accomplished with some rift grain facing pieces, about 1/8" thick. I plan on the front edge of case sides to be rift grain. Careful selection of the facing pieces results in a near invisible glue joint at the case side for I am gluing rift grain to rift grain. Rift grain on the front face makes an attractive border for a more or less figured drawer front.

The facing pieces are sized to overhang some. The overhang is quickly trimmed with a block plane, except for the part next to the intersections. For these remains I employed an impulse purchase I made some time ago when I could not resist the allure of Lee Valley Free Shipping (Evil Marketing!). One could trim these parts with a chisel but the chisel plane makes much shorter work of it.

Then I got in trouble. With two trimmings left to go on the inside overhangs I was called away from the work. When I returned some weeks later I forgot that one side of the bottom two drawer openings was not trimmed. I resumed fitting drawers, specifically the first drawer to be fit into an opening made 1/16" smaller by the untrimmed overhang of the facing piece on one side of the drawer opening. I'll spare the details but I spiraled into a terrible mess and faced building another drawer.

This episode points out a challenge that part time woodworkers face- loss of continuity. This is not the first serious screw up I have gotten into by forgetting where I left off on a project. I presume others may have faced similar situations, or maybe not if you suffer less distractions or have better memory.

Re: Covering up the dovetails

#2

Re: Covering up the dovetails

roger lance

Bill.....I must admit that I'm of two minds about covering up dovetails.....I kind of like seeing how a piece was made.....and dovetails certainly speak to the quality of construction.

I also bought that LV chisel plane.....good to see it finding purpose other than being shiny.

Re: Covering up the dovetails

#3

Continuity

Joseph Piotrowski

Lack of it gets me every time. I often don't have but a hour here an hour there. It has caused me issues. I trying to combat that with a note book and even writing on the piece ( going to tape next time). Still not sure how that will work out. I'm also scaling down on complexity to get more done in one session. It's a though thing maintain a thought process.

Re: Covering up the dovetails

#4

Chalk and blue tape

Barry Irby

I try to stop at a good "stopping point", but am sometimes interrupted. At that point I make notes on the pieces with chalk, or blue tape and pencil or ink. I try to never write on a project with ink.

I bought a box of colored chalk and it has been very useful for color coding and warnings.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.