The picture is taken in front of the Eastman Research labs, Kingsport TN where this glue was discovered. The glue bond is between two polished steel plates, demonstrating that adhesion between two surfaces does not necessarily involve glue penetrating pores to make a mechanical joining of the two surfaces.
The adhesive was originally marketed as "Eastman 910".
Just wondering just how much the "glue" is adding to the adherence of the polished metal plates! When Wringing* gages to insure measurements on a surface plate are accurate the adhesion is such that the only way to separate the gages is to slide them apart. Pulling them from each other is impossible to do with your hands.
*Wringing gage blocks is explained at the following web site ~
Then, as now, it is nearly impossible to tell at a quick glance one Ford, or GM, or Chrysler model from another unless it was an extreme outlier such as a Corvair or Corvette or Lincoln Continental. I've always figured that if more than 75% of the parts are interchangeable then they are essentially the same thing. I looked at the picture and my mind said Ford but I was more interested in the 'continental' spare tire.
Oh, and while I'm at it, NASCAR is a massive lie -- nothing 'stock' about anything there and there hasn't been for many decades. Why don't they at least change the name?
>>>Just wondering just how much the "glue" is adding to the adherence of the polished metal plates! When Wringing* gages to insure measurements on a surface plate are accurate the adhesion is such that the only way to separate the gages is to slide them apart.
Is that the same principle that causes two gold blocks to bond under pressure?
From what very little I've read about metal to metal adhesion with extremely flat and polished surfaces I'm guessing that any CA between the surfaces would negate any adhesion due to the wringing, as would any distortion of a plate due to the amount of force in that lift. But perhaps a CA-metal surface is joined by the same or similar principle as the wringing with the advantage of the liquid filling in any microscopic irregularities in the metal. ??
But wild guesses like these beg for an experiment using new gage blocks, with and without CA glue.