WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cross bar trestle table remade

Posts

Cross bar trestle table remade

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

Cross bar trestle table remade

Jack Guzman from Maine

I said I would post a picture when I completed fabricating the table leg system. It wasn't too complicated but it was fun to do. I got to use my router plane(half laps),Mortise chisels,and two different backsaws. I like the way it looks. The top is figured maple and that is also what I used for the legs. The client is going to do the finish.



There was some question as to the strength of the legs. I find them to be quite rugged. ---Jack

Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#2

Bravo!, Jack.....


Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#3

Looks great, Congrats!


Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#6

Nice!


Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#7

How...

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

.....did you make the "coming together" joint? Not clear from the picture. It looks attractive however the legs and stretcher came together. Graceful.

Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#8

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: How...

Jack Guzman from Maine

Not sure what you mean by "coming together joint" but the legs consist of two "S" shaped pieces half lapped together in the center,and these two crossbars are joined to the stretcher with a wedged mortise and tenon. I made the tenons on the ends of the stretcher slightly proud and flared the outside of the mortises to lock the joint with a wedge in a sawed kerf in the tenon.

If this isn't clear I can take a close-up picture of the joint.

Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#9

The joint deserves a close up pic

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

or at least I would like to see it. It can't be a run of the mill easy to lay out and chop half lap. How tall is the table? I was thinking this thing was a coffee table, but it looks to be taller

Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#10

Re: Well done!


Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#11

Jack Guzman from Maine

Close-up

Jack Guzman from Maine

Wow! the close up really shows the warts. Anyhow,you can see how the joint comes together better. The table is a breadboard end kitchen table. It is 30" tall.


Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#12

good enough

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I like the way you added material to this joint to strengthen it. That is the detail I wanted to see. thank you

It is a complicated joint to execute and it looks good enough. I doubt the client would have been interested in the cost of perfection.

Re: Cross bar trestle table remade

#13

Looks good!

Tony-Memphis

Thanks for posting. I bet that was tricky to lay out and cut. I have to admit my first thought when I saw the closeup was to chuck it up in the CNC router! I like the design. Might employ that in my next coffee table.

Tony

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.