WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

25 Sep 2017

Good Morning/Evening,

A friend of mine and I are still working on the king sized bed project. The bed, when finished, will go into his home for his wife. It's taking longer than planned due to me teaching him about woodworking as we go. It's all his design with my tips for joinery. It's been tasking for me to teach him because he asks a lot of questions and I have to do a lot of thinking and then explain as clearly as I can. Teaching him the dictionary of woodworking terms as we go slows us down a bit but I feel like my time is well spent in teaching someone younger than me about woodworking. I know that he's ready for this to be done, as well as I, but we are getting closer and the next 2 weeks will tell us how much longer it's going to be. We're only working on this project 2 nights a week, for about 3 hours each time. I'm enjoying the teaching part as well as showing how the machines work and how to cut the wood to the size / length you truly need.

I start oncall duty again this week and I'm not looking forward to that, but it is what it is.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

Oh what a...

John K Jordan

... beautiful morning!

It was dark when I went out to feed the horses but changing quickly as I walked up the hill to the house:


The baby peacocks started flying up on the roost this weekend - a milestone!

Rebuilt the starter on one of my old 4-wheelers. Now it starts without pulling the rope! I accidentally waited until the evening of the day my wife went out and bought a new one for her to ride since the electric start on this one didn't work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

A fellow woodturner came to the shop Saturday for help with turning finials, skew chisel lessons, and sharpening instructions. (And to see the llamas and peacocks!) We spent over six hours in the shop - good fun. I forgot to take a picture.

Finished my third and largest threaded box. These are my first three tries at threading. I found it tricky to figure the dimensions but very easy to thread. Ebony and ebony. No finish, just polished.


Made a handle last night for a carbide burnisher rod I got from the incredible Sir Robo the Hippy. This is for burnishing the burr on turning, hand, and cabinet scrapers. Osage Orange.


JKJ

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

Re: Burnishers

William Duffield

Do you know where Ed sources his carbide rods? I have made several scraper burnishers, but am always looking for a cheap, reliable source for rods. I don't mind buying them in bulk, eg., 10 or 50 at a time.

I think burnishers work better with ferrules, since the carbide is very short, and there is a lot of lateral pressure, which makes it easy to split out the handle. Are they 6 mm or 1/4" ø? I prefer Imperial dimensions, because they fit the brass compression nuts I use.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

carbide rods available many places

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I get them from Misenheimer, Morristown for just a few dollars. They are blanks for milling carbide end mills for CNC.

Any machine shop supply place has them. Probably any place that makes tooling for wood has them.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#5

Re: Burnishers

John K Jordan

>>>Do you know where Ed sources his carbide rods? I have made several scraper burnishers, but am always looking for a cheap, reliable source for rods. I don't mind buying them in bulk, eg., 10 or 50 at a time.

I think burnishers work better with ferrules, since the carbide is very short, and there is a lot of lateral pressure, which makes it easy to split out the handle. Are they 6 mm or 1/4" ø? I prefer Imperial dimensions, because they fit the brass compression nuts I use.


These are from Reed Gray - he bought 100 and has (had?) a bunch extra he was selling for cost - $2 I think. I bought 20 to share with club members. I think they are 3/16". He might have enough for you.

The rods are short but I don't think I need a ferrule. 1, I sunk it tightly into Osage Orange and epoxied it after roughing up part of the rod for the epoxy to stick. It does have sideways forces but the way I use these there is not really much pressure, probably not enough to deform basswood let alone osage. I've been using a rod with a larger diameter and this smaller diameter should take even less force. We'll see!

JKJ

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#6

Jesper, Denmark

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Jesper, Denmark

5th session Docetaxel Chemo for mCRPC on Friday. No significant side effects, so #1 son's 50th birthday party Saturday and leaving for a week holiday in the Greek sun on the island of Crete today.

If you have to go through this cr*p, don't sweat it - it is nowhere as bad as the warnings you get about it - and it's not the end.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#7

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Hank Knight

Jesper,

I'm happy to hear your chemo is going well. I hope you finish soon and with a positive outcome. Enjoy the sunshine.

Hank

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#8

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

paul in AZ

Good news.

Here's hoping that getting sunburned and ouzo's toxicity are the worst things you have to deal with.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#9

Alan Young

"Time"

Alan Young

The last 6 months have been a wild ride-or at least a lot of travel. Starting with Memorial Day Weekend- First of two trips to the UP cabin. 6 hours each way. July- Trip home to North Dakota for family visits. Mid July trip number 2 to UP. End of August- Fly to Seattle for a cruise through Alaska Interior with with my wife and her 86 yr old Mom-Bucket list for her 50th state- then fly to San Francisco to help Daughter and Son-in-law and 5 kids pack all their house and belongs then drive across continent to Dayton OH where he started a new job. whew! This past Sunday even the whole Young Tribe was at our house for the first time in over a year for family dinner. This pictures seemed a great soft reflective ending to a fast 6 months. I call it "Time". My Grandson playing my Son with chess pieces by (me) Grand Dad and Board by my Grand Father ergo Grandson's Great Great Grandfather.


Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#10

Re:  "Time"

roger lance

You're lucky Alan.....sorta the opposite of "Cats in the Cradle"......

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.