WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Plane advice

Posts

Plane advice

#1

JL

Plane advice

JL

The "somewhat" local Woodcraft (only 90 miles away) has the Woodriver #7 ($310) and #6 ($200) available. I am going down near there this weekend.

I do use my Veritas block plane and my Veritas #4 quite a bit. I rarely use my #5s (Miller Falls and Stanley) and I never use my #3 (Stanley).

Given that the majority of my work is "shorter" and being somewhat frugal - I don't want to spend too much money.

Would a #6 be suitable for jointing long boards? Do I really need a #7? Which would be more versatile for general woodworking?

Re: Plane advice

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Plane advice

Jack Guzman from Maine

The longer the plane,the better. But yes,you can joint long boards with a #6,a #7 is just more effective. I would use a #8 if I had one.---Jack

Re: Plane advice

#3

Re: Plane advice

Mark Nowicki

You don't really need a #7 to joint , but you already have a #5 and other surface prep planes. A dedicated jointer is the next logical plane to get.

If you didn't , I would tell you to get a #6. I love mine.

Re: Plane advice

#4

Re: Plane advice

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I have a 6, 7, & 8 and use all three when the work requires it. For shorter stuff, I grab the 6.

P.S. I got my #6 at a flea market for $40, and it required no work to make it work. I wouldn't pay $300.

Re: Plane advice

#5

Me neither

Ron in Sterling, CT

Hi JL,

I agree with using 7, or an 8, and that a 6 will do in a pinch. I have a 6 and a 7 that I picked up at auction or at a flea market. Each for less than $35. A little cleaning, sharpened the blades and they wee ready to go. I use each of them 3 or 4 times a year, but when I need them, nothing else will substitute. $300 is a lot to spend on a tool that will probable fine limited use in your shop.

My 2 cents worth

Good Luck

Ron

Re: Plane advice

#6

Re: Me neither III

Gary Smyth

Ebay has #7s for much less. $50 to $140 range. (Type in plane #7) Flea markets in Western PA --$45 or less. Read any description carefully and ask questions. For most folks they are too big or too heavy or too hard to control on big box offerings. They are hard to store. Look around before you make the trip. I see them pretty often and they don't fly off the table. Another week or so doing a search is probably worth a savings of at least $100. If you do find a deal, don't throw good money after a bad tool, but most are in reasonable shape but haven't seen a piece of wood for over a decade and are covered more with gunk dust than rust. The irons typically seem thin, but tuned they worked well for over a century.

Re: Plane advice

#7

Re: Plane advice

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I probably have over a dozen Iron plane and a few woodies. I did not pay over $35 for any of the irons. None of mine are Bedrocks, and I did buy a few that really had bad nick's in the blade which would have been hard to remove by hand but I have an old (but accurate) Boyer Schulz surface grinder.

Almost all the iron planes are old Stanley's, and work quite well after some sharpening and tuning. My largest is a number 7, and have #1's and most in between as well as some oddballs. I doubt the planes at the woodworking stores are any better, if as good as a well tuned old Stanley. As others have said look around flea markets and yard sales as well as Ebay. You will be pleasantly surprised at the quantity and quality available at very low prices.

Just took a quick peek at Ebay, there are several #7 Stanley's up for sale, with starting bids at $25 ~$30, one I noticed at less than $75 at a buy it now including shipping. As long as the plane body is not cracked most can be tuned with an hours work and will work well. In my experience even a new plane, other than Veritas and Lee Nielsen, will require some tuning to work well, others here are much more experienced with this subject so take my opinions for what they are worth. You may also pose this question on the hand tool forum as they may have some very good advice.

Re: Plane advice

#8

Wood River is a good choice

Joseph Piotrowski

I'm not a "new tool" basher. i never find the time to spend looking for a flea market finds, ebay has been hit or miss for me. i also don't enjoy the tinning up part( its good to know how to do it).

id rather work the wood and not the tool. so the only two possible places IMO to buy are new and few antique resale shops that only sell quality antique tools that are much better than ebay finds. however you can't brag about some 30 dollar find that most people can't replicate and certainly not timely.

i have a pretty good array of planes these days(old woodies, ec primus, veritas ,custom made,lie Nielsen, old stanleys, new stanley. i now have 2 wood river planes. a number 3 and a 41/2 and i find these far superior to my flea market/ ebay planes.

Having said that.. i do use my stanley #6 corrugated bottom plane a lot. it needs more tweaks but i have a few other item to get first before i replace it. and when i look to replace it, a wood river would be a great option.

i do have a ec primus jointer. it's very long but no too heavy, it might be equivalent to a number 8. i do find i like it more for edge jointing.

one thing to consider is a number #7 it might be nice in between tool. darn it i just think i talked my self into getting a number 7 instead of a number 6! lol.

anyway short story: i am pleased with the wood river planes. very pleased!

Re: Plane advice

#9

Re: Wood River is a good choice

roger lance

I've got two sets of planes.....some basic Stanleys for rough work.....and some bevel-ups LVs for when I want to feel fancy like I knew what I was doing.

I avoided the WoodRiver tools which I saw as Chinese copies of Lie Nielsens made after LN had spent their money designing their products.

But, on a recent trip to the local WoodCraft, there was a WoodRiver plane on a bench for customers to try.....I found the plane to be well made....substantial....and it gave a good result.

Can't knock em for their quality.

Re: Plane advice

#10

Re: Wood River is a good choice

Joseph Piotrowski

id like to buy american made products when i can, but i tend to impulse buy sometimes and that is why i have 2 woodriver planes instead of LN. :).

Re: Plane advice

#11

Re: Plane advice

Brian Holcombe

I have a LN, great plane. Their planes are substantial and offer nice feedback when adjusting.

I dislike A2 steel and so replaced the blades with either Tsunesaburo blades or O1 blades which are preferable to my taste.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.