WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Posts

Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#1

Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Barry Irby

I am making two chests of drawers for my granddaughters. Cherry exterior with poplar drawers boxes and birch bottoms.

My understanding is many antique chests have drawers that have never had any finish. I also understand that many restorers of such furniture ad coats of shellac to the interior and drawers to reduce the musty smell.

So, lacquer the drawers? Shellac the drawers? Leave them naked?

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#2

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Jim O'Connor

I don't finish the insides of drawers as it takes years possibly for the smell of the finish to dissipate

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#3

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

roger lance

NEVER....apply an oil based finish to the inside of any chest, drawer, etc that will hold/store cloth.....the curing process produces a rancid odor that will be transferred to your clothes/cloth goods.

Shellac is another story....its alcohol based.....and will dry without this odor problem. A single coat of clear shellac will work to protect the appearance of your drawer....can be applied easily.....cures quickly.....and can be lightly buffed with some 0000 steel wool.

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#4

Single coat of shellac

Dick Coers

I round over the top to almost a bullnose, and then a single coat of shellac sanded with 320grit after. That makes it soft and smooth for sweaters and knits.

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#5

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Jim Dillon

Barry, another vote for shellac. Following the usual sanding schedule, I apply a single coat of blond shellac. I have not noticed any odor problems and like the look of the shellac. I have no experience with lacquer. Indeed, my experience with oil-based finishes in a china cabinet indicate that the odor hangs around for decades! Jim

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#6

Shellac, but with a warning

jesse cloud

I do the single coat of shellac thing. Unfinished poplar doesn't get better with age.

I did have a problem once, and had to make new drawers for the client.

As often happens with advancing age, my sense of smell started to decline about a decade ago. So I missed the fact that the pickle jar I cleaned out for shop use still had a slight odor. Well, I used it to mix the shellac. Sure enough about a week later the client called up and said the inside of the cabinet smelled like pickles, though she hadn't put anything like that in it. Ooops. :\ :(

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#7

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Lee Schierer - McKean, PA

I've finished the inside and outside of drawers in all the dressers, vanities and end tables that I've made with Deft Brushing lacquer. Yes there is some smell for a while, but it isn't over powering and it doesn't linger in clothing. The finish lays down the wood fibers so they don't snag on sweaters and other delicate fabrics.

I've never tried shellac as a finish until recently. I used a spray can to coat some dividers and the inside surfaces of a tea caddy. I wanted a finish with no smell and that is what I got.

Lee

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#8

Clint Searl

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Clint Searl

Always: two coats of high quality (Behr) interior flat acrylic in white or off-white topped with a gloss waterborne floor finish (Varathane or Bona Mega. Clean, tough, and odorless.

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#9

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Mark

Nope, leave em naked ..IMHO.

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#10

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

Jay Lombardo

Naked. used Deft brushing lacquer on one of my first projects inside of a blanket chest. everything that came out of that chest smelled for years.

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#11

Funny!!

Jim Dillon

Shoot, and I have a whole bunch of empty pickle jars as they are a nice size for mixing stuff. Guess I better air them out first! Jim

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

#12

Re: Drawers-to finish or not to finish?

AZ in Colorado Springs

I use minwax water based polyurethane. Two or three coats.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.