WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fluorescent light question

Posts

Re: Fluorescent light question

#26

Don't flatter yourself...

John in NM

"In terms of background, Bill's usually not this aggressive in response to input, but he's still apparently a little miffed over a recent exchange I had with him on the hand tool board re: regluing failed Titebond joints. Given the sparse traffic there, I thought it worth mentioning for those here on the broader topic board that are somewhat puzzled as to the nature of the current exchange. "

It has nothing to do with that at all, if you had bothered to read the regularly recurring fluorescent vs LED threads, you would know that Bill regularly takes this same position.

He does it because LED's are the currently hyped product that will make your life all peaches and cream, and the marketing generally is not based on data. Read what Bill says and you will find that he's inclined to compare actual data from each type of lamp.

Re: Fluorescent light question

#27

Re: Don't flatter yourself...

TM Stock

Good to know it's not just my comments that are taken personally. Thanks for the heads-up!

Re: Fluorescent light question

#28

No problem...

John in NM

Once I got to know Bill, I found his analytical abilities to be an invaluable contribution to any thread. Maybe you will too, maybe not, but rest assured he doesn't indulge in personal spite much at all.

If I've ever seen him carry a grudge, its against more abstract things like marketing hype -- an example I find somewhat justified! :D

Re: Fluorescent light question

#29

Re: No problem...

TM Stock

Got it...had guys that worked for me that were 'management challenges' but were superbly productive engineers/analysts. In the previous career, some of my best drivers were the same sort of guys - awesome pilots that could insert or extract a special ops team within a few seconds and a few meters of the time-on-target/target location. Worth their weight in HR complaints and meetings with the brigade commander.

I've got at least one officer evaluation report that - if read between the lines and paraphrased - says, "This officer is a total PIMA, but he's the best unit commander in my brigade. Promote now and let him be someone else's headache for a while." So yeah - I know the type.

Re: Fluorescent light question

#30

Well, now there is a problem

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"I've got at least one officer evaluation report that - if read between the lines and paraphrased - says, "This officer is a total PIMA, but he's the best unit commander in my brigade. Promote now and let him be someone else's headache for a while." So yeah - I know the type. "

I was satisfied to let your annoyance with me pass, but you had to take one more poke at me.

1. You give my memory too much credit. I can not recall any previous post you made or how I responded. But if you were claiming something I thought untrue I have no doubt I would have asked for data to support your position. Form my perspective its about the data and valid conclusions from the data. In most cases I don't care one way or another about the person and few are worthy of a grudge.

2. I would not have responded any different to Ellis if he had written your first evangelical post. In your subsequent posts you significantly modified your claims and provided valuable information on LED's to anyone interested, something that would not have happened without my questioning.

3. You or anyone else can count on me asking for supporting data if claims are made that I think merit further discussion. If you think having to clarify or justify a claim is imposing a pain in your ass I would respond , get used to another perspective on life, or don't post. My favorite tee shirt shows a picture of an inquisitive child with the caption "question everything". Asking questions is how many of us learn learn. Maybe that isn't the military culture, but it is where I live my life. If you, or anyone else is interested in another perspective on life, or teach science, search for the Feynman lecture on how to teach science, a presentation given to science teachers. ....question everything. Can you deny that my questions led to more valuable information for those interested? Your posts were becoming informative right up to the last one, which missed its mark.

Re: Fluorescent light question

#31

Isn't that odd...

John in NM

The "challenges" who work for me are not the analytical people - the latter are the valuable people who solve problems so that I don't have to do it.

My "challenges" are the layabouts who do make HR complaints, injury reports over trivial cuts and bruises, and require constant supervision to accomplish the most simple engineering tasks. My valuable technical staff do none of these things, but do get their jobs done better and faster than I could do them myself.

I'll take an analytical brain any day of the week! The reason being that these people make my working day shorter :D

Re: Fluorescent light question

#32

Re: Well, now there is a problem

TM Stock

I think our work is done here. Readers have headed out to do their own research on how to better illuminate their work spaces, the weekly post count has jumped a bit, and I am guessing that the unique views metric has leveled off for at least a day or two. Any issue with broad shoulders, hard heads, and narrow hatches is pretty inconsequential.

Re: Fluorescent light question

#33

Re: Isn't that odd...

TM Stock

I never saw much difference between staffing and operating an elite R&D organization or an elite special operations unit, but I understand that there are lots of different playing fields.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.