WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Router Bearing

Posts

Router Bearing

#1

Router Bearing

Kelly M. Robison

Help!! I am looking for a bearing for a flush trim router bit. It needs to fit a 1/2" shank. I am looking for a bearing that measures 3" O.D.. All I can find through the different wood working stores is ones that measures up to 1-1/8" O.D. Any ideas????

Kelly in Port Orchard

Re: Router Bearing

#2

Re: Router Bearing

Steve jenkins

Find a bearing supply house. If they can't find one they can sleeve one to the size you need

Re: Router Bearing

#3

Re: Router Bearing

John McGaw

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of a 3" diameter flush trim bit on a router. The only thing resembling a flush-trim bit I have that big goes on my shaper but that utilizes a huge cast-iron fence system, not a bearing.

Re: Router Bearing

#4

Re: Router Bearing

Kelly M. Robison

Sorry, Maybe I didn't explain myself. All I'm looking for is 3" O.D. bearing to fit on flush trim router bit with a 1/2" shaft. I want to use it, so that I can follow a template and move the 1/2" bit away from the edge by 1-1/2". I was looking at all the woodworking websites and the largest bearings that they offer is 1-1/4" O.D.

Does that explain it well enough.

Kelly

Re: Router Bearing

#5

Re: Router Bearing

Barry Irby

I've never seen such a bearing. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've never seen one.

How about a different approach? Make a base for your router and install a ring in it 3" in diameter. Or make a ring with a half inch hole and a 3" diameter and double stick tape it or hot glue it to the base of your router. Once centered you could drill out the center to allow clearance for the bit. You could also use a temporary base and install a pin in it, but that would require careful "driving" of the router.

Re: Router Bearing

#6

no such thing

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Think how big the balls would have to be to go from the inner race with 1/2" id to outer race with od of 3". As mentioned, you might be able to create an assembly from a 1/2" id bearing ( bearings are metric by the way) by adding some sort of ring to it that would be press fit or otherwise attached to the od of the bearing. Something could be turned from nylon if you had the nylon and a lathe. Otherwise, come up with a different solution to the guide.

Re: Router Bearing

#7

Shaper parts

John in NM

I've never seen flush trim tooling that big intended for a router! Are you sure it's not a shaper cutter?

I've seen large bearings on shaper cutters, using a large bore bearing and a machined interior sleeve that mates to the cutter in some way.

Re: Router Bearing

#8

Re: Shaper parts *LINK*

John in NM

Here are some options, including a 1/2" shaft for using 1/2" bore shaper cutters in a router - makes me wonder if that is what you have?

None of the bearings are 3", but they get close. I still think it would be awfully spooky running a cutter that big on a router!


https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/shaper_collars.html#Rub_Collar_Ball_Bearing_Anchor

Re: Router Bearing

#9

Re: Shaper parts

roger lance

This sounds like shaper tooling as John said. This maybe what you are seeking except this cutter and bearing are for 3/4" spindles.....


IMHO, Bill is also correct in that no router bit maker of whom I'm aware would be offering a bit of such a diameter for liability reasons.

Re: Router Bearing

#10

Re: Router Bearing

Kelly M. Robison

Thank you everyone for your input and information. I believe that I will do some thinking on the problem and come up with a different, safer solution.

Kelly in Port Orchard, WA

Re: Router Bearing

#11

What are you trying to do?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If we understood why you need a 1.5" off set from the bit we might be able to offer a solution that doesn't involve a 3" bearing.

Re: Router Bearing

#12

Ellis Walentine

Re: Router Bearing

Ellis Walentine

If your cutter diameter is 1/2" and you want to space it 1 1/2" off your template, you'll need a 3 1/2" OD sleeve. Any machine shop can turn you a sleeve of whatever diameter and drill it out for a shrink fit onto the outer race of your existing bearing. I used to have a selection of these for creating different depth grooves with slotting cutters.

Ellis

Re: Router Bearing

#13

Re: Router Bearing

AZ in Colorado Springs

I'm thinking it sounds like you need a wide bushing. I think you could fashion a bushing of sorts to fasten to the bottom (or maybe a sub-bottom) of the router. A slice of 3" OD PVC pipe or something similar. Getting it properly centered might be tedious.

Re: Router Bearing

#14

Re: Router Bearing

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Trying to visualize what you need, it appears that a sleeve pressed or slipped onto a router guide bushing mounted on the router base plate is what you want. Anyone with a wood or metal lathe could make one in a few minutes. Might want to mount it with a small set screw to attach to a standard guide bushing so it could be removed or you would need a separate router base plate. The thickness would necessarily need to be somewhat thinner than your template.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.