WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT Travel Trailer

Posts

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#26

Reminds me of a good mobile home story

Dick Coers

Wife's Grandfather lived outside Waterville, Me in an old traditional mobile home. Late in life, he decided to spend the winters in Florida. Since he would not be home to shovel snow off the roof, he would build support walls all throughout the trailer before leaving. It looked like jail cells in there with bare stud walls everywhere!

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#27

Re: Have you confirmed living costs there

Dustmaker (Mike)

No I have only done internet searches to see what I can find out. That is why I am going to head down that way for a few days to make up my mind. I could end up in Murffersborrow or the Tri Cities area. I am only in the process of trying to figure out what is going to be cheapest and best for what my needs are. I am not dead set on a trailer nor am I against an apartment, renting a house is out because I am not going to be there to mow etc. Unless I find a place that is all taken care of.

Thanks

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#28

Re: Reminds me of a good mobile home story

Dustmaker (Mike)

I really don't want to go to that extent to protect the roof.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#29

Re: Another thought to consider

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I have stayed in Cookville at a hotel several times. The company I worked for as an Engineer had a manufacturing plant in Sparta, Mallory Timers. It is just a few miles from Cookville to Sparta. There is no inn at Sparta so anyone visiting / working at Sparta stayed in Cookville. There are several hotel's/Inns at Cookville so you might want to contact some to see if you could get a low cost "long term" rental rate. There are several good restaurants in the city, but Cookville is in a "dry county" so if you want an alcoholic drink you have to bring your own!

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#30

Re: Another thought to consider

Dustmaker (Mike)

Dry county that may make me want to move away right there(-;

Thanks I am going to head that way in a few months to see what will work best, for what I want to do. I have not bought a trailer or anything yet I am just planing ahead unlike I normally do and just do something and figure it out after words. I am trying to get smarter in my old age.

Thanks

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#31

What environment are you looking for

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Cookville will be a college town but an engineering college town. Students taking 17 hours of technical classes don't party much or flock to protest rallies. But it is not far from Nashville to do city things. Johnson City is not a college town because a lot of the student body commutes. But it does have some college things like sports. The city has more things than Cookville, for example the under-construction performing arts center.

Knoxville is a fair sized city but we never have any need to go there for anything because I have no interest in UT foot ball, the only thing it offers not found locally. If cities are not an attraction then most of TN is small town and rural and one place doesn't seem to have any advantage over another, except we are much closer to 6000' mountains.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#32

Re: What environment are you looking for

Dustmaker (Mike)

We are looking for an area around a large lake, my wants a house on the lake. I would like at least an acre or so of land, with NO home owners association. I also want mountain views (so I see them). I have to be within an hour of an airport. I fly in and out all the time. If there is a military base within and hour that is a bonus.

As for big towns not really interested in any. We like the sticks.

That is why I want to be mobile so if we find an area we like we will move closer so we can explore what is available.

Thanks for your help on this.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.