WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT Travel Trailer

Posts

OT Travel Trailer

#1

OT Travel Trailer

Dustmaker (Mike)

Howdy All.

My wife and I are in the process of heading to TN and finding our retirement home. We are not sure which part yet, which leads to my question. I am planing on heading that way in Dec or Jan to a mobile hone / RV park in Cookesville TN. I figure if work was going to let me work from home when I am not traveling then, it is time to do that from where we want to retire. I will be living alone in the trailer for the first few months until our house sells in OH. Then my wife will move in with me. Our stuff will be in storage someplace (maybe Pods containers). I looked at apartments and figure for $700 to a $1000 bucks a month rent and utilities, I could buy a trailer. My truck has a 11,800LBS rating and a 5.5 foot be on it, so most 5th wheels are out. I have been looking into trailers and see all kinds of stuff. What I did learn is I want a 3.5 or 4 season trailer. I travel 2 to 3 weeks at a time and don't need it freezing up on me. Also I am looking at resale value, so I don't loose my shirt when I sell it in a year or two.

Anybody have experience or wisdom they want to share? Brands etc.

We are looking at plane land, or buy a place and knock it down and rebuild, or a allready built one that match's our must have list. Thanks Mike

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#2

Re: OT Travel Trailer  *LINK*

Tom dunlap

I'm in a similar position as you. My path will take me towards a 22'-24' class B camper

There are some good rv sites out there with very focused forums

My conclusion is that there are a lot of campers that start bending and opening corner seals whci let's in water which leads to rot which leads to pouring money down a rat hole

If you consider an Airstream type camper realize that you loose a lot of storage space to the curves. Also, repairs can be a challenge. I like straight walls


RV forum

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#3

Re: OT Travel Trailer

John E in SC

I'm a warm-season camper, so can't help with the "freezing up" problem, but I have owned several campers, and so far the best-built camper I have had has been a Jayco. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of construction and materials used. I have not owned a high-end camper like an airstream to compare with. Just my 2 cents.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#4

Do even think about buying a new one!!!!!

Dick Coers

There are so many used options. Those things depreciate faster than cars. Check with local RV parks near where you want to go. Some of those places have long term renters, and some of them want to sell. All you would have to do is show up in your vehicle, all set up!

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#5

Re: Do even think about buying a new one!!!!!

Dustmaker (Mike)

I am looking at both. I figure I have to fiance part of it so the newer the better for that part. Also I need low maintenance because I travel two or three weeks at a time and no one will be in it. My wife will be maybe moving in June or so but we are not sure of that either.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#6

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Matt

Arctic Fox/Nash (Northwood Mfg) are well made RVs, if there is such a thing, which makes me concerned about the requirement for "low maintenance" .

I don't recommend owning boats or RVs to anyone that is less than willing to pay attention to the seemingly constant upkeep. I own a boat and an RV and they require energy and money to maintain while sitting idle (the RV not the owner!) or actively in use and this is something that I understand is required and part of the job of owning this stuff so I'm OK with it, but it is something to think about as a potential new owner.

To live long term in an RV will require special attention which is over and above the normal O&M. No matter how well made an RV is, they are not houses and will need to be used in a gentle manner.

Don't overlook the capabilities and maintenance of tow vehicle as an important part of the package as well.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#7

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Dustmaker (Mike)

I don't have a problem doing normal maintenance etc. In fact I sort of like the no thinking work. I just travel a lot and it will be empty for two or three weeks at a time. This will only be short term maybe six months or so. I know to turn off the water shut the clean outs etc. I have also read about skirting the bottom to keep the wind out as well as small critters.

My thing is insulation, under floor heating, and anything else I am not thinking of. It will be moved two maybe three times depending on how things work out. When we get our house livable then it might be up for sale or ? Depending on where we are sitting in the retirement time frame.

Thanks

Mike

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#8

It can get cold there

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I don't know anything about travel trailers. But I do know that in Jan/Feb you might encounter below zero weather. I live 150 miles east of Cookville and the lowest I have seen it here was -21, official. Yet some winters it may not get below 10. Days reaching 40's are common. Torrents of rain common in winter also. And occasional snow. I would want a robust trailer. Actually, I would not consider a trailer.

I have 50 acres just across the border in VA I will sell for $1500/acre. Mostly wooded with 2 acres rich bottom land and a dandy house site with good hunting and near good fishing.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#9

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Matt

Sounds like you know what to expect, which is a big plus!

Even the best 4 season RVs won't be insulated to what you would expect from a mediocre house, and the floor can be a cold spot in the winter. The better RVs will have upgraded windows/doors and that helps.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#10

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Lee Schierer - McKean, PA

Travel trailers are not as well insulated as a house. However, some manufacturers offer winterizing packages which include additional insulation and enclosure around the frame. Our travel trailer can easily be heated with a 1500 watt electric heater when the temperature goes down to 25 degrees. We have never camped in it when it got colder than that.

Leaving a travel trailer alone in cold weather for several days or more is an invitation to disaster unless you winterize it each time before you leave. Power failure or running out of propane for heat can result in freezinf water lines inside a few hours. Winterizing includes pumping antifreeze into the water lines (not the water heater), draining the water heater and the gray and black tanks. It takes me about an hour to do this to my trailer before we store it each winter.

The Jayco users forum has a lot of members that camp in colder weather. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#11

Re: It can get cold there

Dustmaker (Mike)

Thanks for the offer of the land, but no way I want to live in VA.

Also thanks for the insight into the Cookeville area. It is hard looking at a computer screen and data to figure out what it is really like there.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#12

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Dustmaker (Mike)

It will be hooked up to the park supple so I will only be using the black tank. The rest of the tanks will be empty. The supply lines and inside lines are the reason I am asking about a 4 season TT. I have seen a fw videos of MFG that test down to zero degrees before shipping. They have a cold air heat exchanger in the floor and hot air pumped into it. Check this site out. This is what I am thinking about

https://youtu.be/23Dx7g0UvpQ

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#13

Re: OT Travel Trailer

Dustmaker (Mike)

Thanks I just looked at the price of the AirStreams, I will have to pass on them. I joined the forum and have been reading a lot.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#14

Another thought to consider

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Cookville is not a winter vacation mecca like FL. Who is going to be living in a trailer park in February? Where I live it is people that can't afford other living. In times past we called them migrant workers. Do check out the neighbors before launching this project to see that you will fit in.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#15

Time for a Tiny House.....

Barry Irby

Why are those not amateur built campers?

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#16

Re: Another thought to consider

Dustmaker (Mike)

Thanks again. I was going to head that way in the next few months to see what I could learn about the area. I just selected it because it was about the center of where we are looking to live.

For my work I have to be within an hour of an airport so I figured Nashville and Knoxville are just at the edge of that limit.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#17

Re: Time for a Tiny House.....

Dustmaker (Mike)

I wish I had the time to build one, that way I would know it inside and out.

My problem is I just don't have time to finish the jobs I have going on at my house right now let alone take on a project like that.

Thanks

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#18

May not be available in your area, but

Mike Farinella

Lance Camper makes four season travel trailers. We have one and love it.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#19

Re: Another thought to consider

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The town is home to the State's engineering school. Mid term apartments are likely to be plentiful from students dropping out. I don't have much experience with the town but my neighbor has 2 kids there in engineering and one graduated. I'll be eating lunch today with a physics major graduate. One the WC participants had two kids graduate from there. If you need any specific information I could get you in touch with someone that has, or does, live there.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#20

Re: Another thought to consider

Dustmaker (Mike)

Thanks again. I plan on heading down that way in the next few months. The trailer idea was about being a bit mobile to move around the state and see where we want to set up a homestead. Then if we find raw land we have a place to live while the house is being built. If we find a knock down place we have a place to live while the house is being built. If we find a pre built house we like then we sell the trailer and enjoy our new lives.

I like the Tri Cities area the wife liked the knoxville area, so I figure someplace in between on a lake.

I have a few months before I decide on what I am doing, I like to be as informed as possible before I make a change like this one.

We looked at apartments but figured the cost out and it is a bit higher then I wanted to spend and more thn I am saving in Taxes and other things. They are not totally ruled out, just looking at other options.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#21

Re: May not be available in your area, but

Dustmaker (Mike)

How does it do below freezing?

Would you leave it unattended for a few weeks at a time with out winterizing it? I will turn off the water source no water in any of the tanks just the water in the piping. I plan to have a 110 30amp electric hookup so a small heater will be on set to about 50degs when I am not there. I figure I will be out of the trouble zone by March so just Jan and Feb are in the freeze zone, with an odd Mar freeze sometimes.

Thanks

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#22

Time for Air B and B....

Barry Irby

for the money you will lose on this camper you could rent a place.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#23

Re: Time for Air B and B....

Dustmaker (Mike)

Howdy I understand that I will lose money or may lose money on it. The idea is if we decide to head towards tri Cities we pack up and head that way. I don't want to be stuck in a lease for 6 months or have a higher rent because I am going month to month. I also don't want to keep moving stuff into the apartment then out of the apartment.

As I said this is just an idea right now I am doing research to see if it feasible or not. I am pretty sure the right trailer is out there to allow me to do this. I have found two different companies that sell in my region that claim they are rated below zero. Lance is one of them and Thor Industries is the second one.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#24

Re: May not be available in your area, but

Matt

I would try to evacuate the water lines with compressed air if left unattended in cold weather. That would be an alternative to administering anti-freeze. Water remaining in the RVs system will be the biggest risk to potential problems especially if left unattended.

If a line happens to get weak and then pressure is applied, the leak (even small) could cause expensive damage over time especially if it's located out of sight and not repaired right away. Water is an RVand a boat's worst enemy.

Re: OT Travel Trailer

#25

Have you confirmed living costs there

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Had lunch with a student that lived there until 2008. He paid less than $400/month for a town house and his last year rented a nice 3-BR house for just over $400/month. He said that at that time rental property was abundant.

Had a meeting with a different former student this afternoon. Asked his opinion about living in a travel trailer in the winter. "Does he know how much it snows there?", was the reply.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.