WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Back relief

Posts

Back relief

#1

Back relief

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Somewhere along to the completion of the 12 dovetail sockets my back yearned to be straighter. I spied my Steve Latta riser table I use for string inlay. Tada! Now I was working standing up. And, another use for the riser table.

Re: Back relief

#2

Ellis Walentine

Gotta make me one of those


Re: Back relief

#3

Re: Gotta make me one of those

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Unless you make it to presentation grade shop furniture standards it can be a quick project. The "stretcher" across the legs is important to provide a handy clamping point. In spite of the criticism of how I did the dovetails I would do them again this way because it was good enough and quick to do. The LV vice is overkill but I didn't have an alternative. This heavy vice makes the assembly inconveniently heavy.

Which gives me an idea......I am going to make another vice-free. Or, I could just take the vice off and store it until needed for string inlay.

Re: Back relief

#4

Another...

John K Jordan

>>>Which gives me an idea......I am going to make another vice-free.

Yes, make another smaller one and put it on top. Then another...

I can see the real value in my cluttered shop. Give me a flat spot to work without completely cleaning off a section of the bench!

JKJ

Re: Back relief

#5

Re: Back relief

Paul in NJ

These benches seem to be very popular with a lot of woodworkers. At the last conference in Williamsburg, I saw some of the cabinetmakers using them for carving. I thought about building one but it would be hard to find space for it in my shop. When my back gets tired, I pull up my bar stool and work from that. My bench has a large overhang on one end so i usually sit there.

Regards,

Paul Dzioba

Re: Back relief

#6

The second idea.....

roger lance

Taking that vice off until needed makes the most sense. Why should a guy expose himself to unnecessary burden/strife if it can be avoided (or at least minimized)??

When the costs of a thing exceeds its reward, its time to adjust.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.